Makai Marketplace, Waikiki


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
April 19th 2022
Published: April 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

For those of you heading to the islands, do not underestimate the food at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. From Lovefood's best food courts: Makai Marketplace at Ala Moana Center, Honolulu You'll find restaurants for dining in, some with terraces, and places to grab a quick but delicious bite such as Holy Cow (formerly Myungrang Hot Dog), whose specialty is Korean deep-fried hot dogs on a stick. Another favorite is Tanaka Ramen & Izakaya (pictured), serving flavor-packed bowls of noodles, meat and broth alongside a range of Japanese-style snacks. It's so good – and so popular – that you might want to reserve a table in advance.
Poke, typically served in bowls topped with raw fish, originates from Hawaii so it makes sense Honolulu’s biggest shopping mall food court has excellent places serving it. At Poke & Box you can get ahi (yellowfin tuna), salmon, scallops, shrimp, octopus, chicken or tofu served over rice with extras such as pineapple, pickled ginger, sesame, seaweed, edamame, mango and spicy sauce. People say this is one of the best places for poke, full stop.

Favorite stops of ours: Yummy Korean BBQ (kalbi), Leonard's malasadas, and soon to be, Chick Fil A. The dessert area has tasty treats like shave ice, mochi donuts, mochi ice cream, Hawaiian pastries, and traditional American desserts.
But if you want a more authentic version of a food court, head slightly west toward Foodland, and dine at the Shirokiya Village. It is the closest cousin of the famous Edo period villages in Japan (and easily found at Haneda Airport in Tokyo). You will find a wide selection of Japanese food, not just your usual teriyaki, sushi, and donburi. You will soon declare umami to be your favorite word in your gustatory vocabulary!
You will find the food quite varied, with reasonable prices. And you might find a surprise with your register receipt!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb