It Ain't Like I Remember It


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
October 11th 2015
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 21.3069, -157.858

We arrive in Honolulu at 8am but since we have no structured activity planned, we have a leisurely breakfast and leave the ship about 10am. Today Mom is armed with two candy bars and a banana to ward off any sugar attacks. We decide to go to the Waikiki area to look around. Mom has a shopping list for a CVS type store if we come across one. We decide to catch the bus just outside the port. After several unsuccessful attempts to locate the correct one, we board the 42 which takes us a few miles into Waikiki. Seniors 65 and older ride for $1 and since I'm carrying my Medicare card, I'm in. Mom and this senior foreigner are not so lucky. The bus driver lets Karen go for $1 but once the other lady said she was not American, the driver took her down for the whole $2.50. We certainly were lucky with that. In Waikiki at an ABC store which is similar to 7-11, we buy two more bananas, a Coke and some M&Ms for me. Hey, I'm just spending my windfall from the bus. I find that there's a Long's Drugs just down the street so we head there so Mom can restock supplies for the cruise. Apparently, there wasn't enough stuff in all those suitcases when we left the house.

I notice immediately that the entire Honolulu skyline has changed. There are new buildings and grand hotels everywhere since our last visit in 1988. Located on the south shore of Honolulu, the world-famous neighborhood of Waikiki was once a playground for Hawaiian royalty. Known in Hawaiian as "spouting waters," Waikiki was introduced to the world when its first hotel, the Moana Surfrider, was built on its shores in 1901. Today, Waikiki is Oahu's main hotel and resort area and a vibrant gathering place for visitors from around the world. We walk along the main strip of Kalakaua Avenue where all the fancy hotels and shops are. Chanel, Giordano, Gucci, Fendi, all brands I know nothing about. Queenie and Min would like this. We find out that The International Marketplace is closed for remodeling. That's too bad since they had many shops and lots of stuff to look at when we were there in 1988.

We find an alleyway between hotels that leads to the beach and take a few pictures of surf and sand with the selfie stick. Hotels and other buildings fill the entire area. This area seemed much better 25 years ago. Then again, we were 25 years younger. It's just not our style anymore. Mom likes the way the hotels set up the lounge chairs and umbrellas for everyone on the beach. She soon finds out from hotel staff that they're not for us unless we pay $20/hr. Get up, Mom! We walk back to where we got off the bus and grab another bus 42 headed back to the port. The weather has been nice, sunny and in the 80s.

Back at the port just after 3pm, we find the ship is repositioning after refueling. There's quite a few of us sitting in the port lobby waiting until 4pm when they reset the gangway. As we board, others are leaving the ship for an excursion, Germaine's Luau. We went there years ago and, although the ambiance is nice, the food is so so and it's expensive. We opt for the free luau on board tonight (you know who's idea that is) but first a little free wine from our room and then up to the pool for a cooling dip. Some lady the other day was complaining to the main office that her wine was confiscated even after she offered to pay the $18/bottle corkage and now it's all missing. We just smile as we sip from our own wine glasses, the fragrant aroma wafting throughout and tantalizing our senses. Actually, it's because we got it onboard for free. Who cares about aroma.

We return to the cabin to freshen up and change clothes into something more appropriate for the luau. After all, we brought plenty of clothes. Up on the Lido poolside in the open air, the fare is typical luau tradition. Roasted pork (and I mean the whole pig in a BBQ), mahi mahi, coconut rice, fresh fruit, baked potato, chicken and other things including a plethora of desserts. Waiters are pushing the fancy drinks with umbrellas on them. The barbecued mahi mahi was the best! The Hawaiian music and warm temperature added to the ambiance of the evening.

But we must save our energy. There is a dance show, "Drums of Polynesia", in the theater tonight at 9:30pm. Since it's only 7, we pass the time in the Explorer's Lounge listening to the violin and piano duo perform sophisticated classical music. "Ohhh, Jeeves. I must have my tea now." Mom listens while I type, fully aware that the show begins at 9:30.

Now one might think that to attend a performance at 9:30, it would be necessary to arrive about 15 minutes prior. Having grown accustom to the way of life during our geriatric journey, I have noted that the habits of the clientele onboard are quite predictable. If you unknowingly arrive close to curtain call, you will be disappointed. Few seats will be available unless you don't mind sitting behind a pole, a potted plant or some lady with a two foot tall hair do. No, it's best to get there 45 minutes early. The place will still be half full but you can get a decent seat and occupy your time while you wait with games of solitaire or, like me, typing on the blog. The sound of 50 old codgers snoring in unison is no longer a distraction for me. Unfortunately, those with walkers and EZ Gos have the right of way and can still ram their way in at the last minute, parking in the aisles or wherever. Mmmm. That gives me an idea.

We follow the above procedure and enjoy the Polynesian show but the night is over for us as well and we proceed along with our fellow passengers, like cattle to the slaughter, to our staterooms. It's still cool to get ahead of the people in the battery carts and then close the elevator door just as they pull up, pretending that I don't see them but it's obvious Mom does not approve. Oh well, it's time for my pills.

NOTE: I tried to download videos from IPhone or GoPro but the Internet is just too slow to allow it. I will do that when I return home. Sorry.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb