Pearl Harbour and USS Arizona Memorial


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
September 15th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States Of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by Naval and Air Forces of the Empire of Japan. It is obvious that planning the attack began many weeks ago, during the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace. The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American military forces, I regret to tell you that over three thousand American lives have been lost. No matter how long it may take us to over come this pre-meditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. Because of this unprovoked, dastardly attack by Japan, I ask that the congress declare a state of War."

President Franklin D. Roosevelt



This was a day I have been looking forward to the most, as it is such an iconic, historical place to visit, and I really do love learning about the history of the places, especially with it being Military.

The Pearl Harbour memorial has National Park Status, and amazingly parking and entry to the main parts and USS Arizona are completely free. We got our tickets for the 0745 tour, and decided to hire the audio guides for about $7 each which were well worth the money. We had a little look around before the park ranger gave us a little brief on what to expect and went through the usual house keeping of mobile phones off etc. in the auditorium we watched a 25 minute film on the lead up to Pearl Harbour and the growing tensions between America and Japan. It was a really good induction to the day ahead, showing footage of the Japanese attack, and how Pearl Harbour was back in 1941.



Next we boarded a boat for the short trip across the Harbour to the USS Arizona memorial site, which stands above and across the remains of the sunken battleship. It was a very poignant place as you can imagine, and hard to think of what the harbour would of looked like on the day the Japanese attacked so many warships moored here.



On the surface was the slick of oil that still leaks from the Arizona, the guide told us they call it the tears shed for the 1177 sailors who sank with her-hard to believe it's still shedding oil after 70 years underwater. The guide told us that quite a few survivors of the Arizona later had their ashes taken down by divers when they passed away in later life' as it was their wish to be reunited with their friends. I took a couple of photos, but it was one of those places where it just seemed better to be still and take in the surroundings of the place. Unfortunately you always get one who forgets to turn their mobile to silent, or those who continue to take pictures when they've been told to wait until they get inside so as not to hold up everyone getting off the boat. I do find that disrespectful, and also strange the way some people pose and smile at places like these as though it's like a Disney tourist attraction, but that's just my opinion. Amazingly we learned that all but 3 of the ships attacked at pearl Harbour that day were either raised or repaired and put to use during WW2. So close to the Arizona memorial stands USS Missouri, the ship on which the Japanese Minister signed the instrument for surrender in 1945. Strange to think we were standing above the site which suffered the biggest loss and brought America into the war, and just a few meters away was the place it all came to an end.



It was a lovely place and and a fitting tribute. Back off the boat we walked around what was called the contemplation circle and remembrance circle before looking at the Anchor recovered from USS Arizona, and then going to the indoor museums 'Road to War' and the 'Attack' museum. Both were really good describing the history of Hawaii, the lead up to the attack and the politics involved, and also lots of personal accounts. The audio tour was really useful as well as there was so much to read on all the walls that it helped to just be able to listen sometimes, and along with the Glenn Miller Orchestras 'Moonlight Serenade' or just peaceful silence became our soundtracks of the day.



Afterwards we found some shade to have a bit of lunch (it's really hot here today) and reflected on the day and
USS MissouriUSS MissouriUSS Missouri

Where it all ended
the place. I really can't say much more as it's just one of those places you can't put into words. I don't think you can visit Hawaii without coming to Pearl Harbour. Most people know at the least it's when the Japanese bombed American ships (and most people will probably have seen the film) but it really did give me a greater appreciation as to what it was all about and the importance to remember ALL of those who have lost their life whilst serving their country. Lest we Forget.



http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/map


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pearl HarbourPearl Harbour
Pearl Harbour

The little white dot in the middle is the Arizona Mamorial


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb