Life In The Time of Covid


Advertisement
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
July 21st 2021
Published: August 8th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I started writing this as an intro paragraph on my upcoming New York blog, but I soon realized this deserved its own blog entry. I've organized this blog thematically and it is not in chronological order. Please read the descriptive text on the photos for additional information. Work in the Time of Covid In early 2020, we all watched with growing concern as news spread about the emergence of a ne... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sports in the Time of CovidSports in the Time of Covid
Sports in the Time of Covid

Miyana in front of one of the signs. Photo Credit: Trena.
Sports in the Time of CovidSports in the Time of Covid
Sports in the Time of Covid

Runty with Carissa's medal. We joke that the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time) gave the goat her medal. Photo Credit: Cynthia.



8th August 2021

Yes, travel!!
Singapore is a good choice as they are rapidly coming to the conclusion that Covid is just like other endemic respiratory diseased, like the flu and common cold. They should life the quarantine requirement shortly once they have reached their vaccination goal. I wish all governments would follow the science like they do. But going from one island to another may not solve your island fever problem. I hope more countries in Southeast Asia also open up. Singapore is a hub for discount airlines.
9th August 2021

Following the Science
It does look as if Singapore is taking baby steps towards figuring out how to live with Covid from a science-based, risk management focused perspective. I wish that our own so-called leaders would listen to the science. Instead, so many of them are wading right in to the culture wars and pandering to their base - it’s a strategy for winning office in 2022 or 2024, and not much else. History will judge them harshly. As for inter island travel, the insane rental car prices don’t make it a viable option, sadly. I really do want to visit the new land formed by the recent lava flow on the Big Island.
23rd August 2021
Leisure and Exercise in the Time of Covid

Scenic Views
It is strange going places with few tourist. It is good also.
23rd August 2021
Leisure and Exercise in the Time of Covid

Lack of Tourists
I hope Hanauma Bay managed to recover when the tourists stopped coming. I often rolled my eyes whenever tourists waxed lyrical about Hanauma Bay, as I don’t consider it a healthy reef. The state is now charging non-residents $25 per person to access this site. Hopefully it’ll be more sustainable from now on.
3rd October 2021

Hawaii
Wow, this was really an interesting read for me, thank you very much for writing and publishing, Siewch. It was interesting to read that life in the time of Covid seemed pretty similar to you in Hawaii as it was to me in London. The daily routines, walks, getting to know the local parks, local people and neighbours, appreciating take-away food, enjoying tourist sites free of tourists, and appreciating the smaller things in life. I can say I had a similar experience here in London. I'm sorry to hear about Jeff's injury and hope he is recuperating well there. And good to read you are also making baby steps into the travelling life again. I feel I am beginning to do the same myself too. All the best to you Siewch ?
6th October 2021

Variations of the same experiences
Hi Alex. Thanks for your observation that you’ve pretty much had the same experiences and routines during this pandemic. I think we’ve all had variations of the same experience as we individually figure out how to navigate this weird time. I’ve been following your travels through Scotland - well done on making it work!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb