Day 10 - Maui, Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
August 24th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This is the day, we leave the paradise. We finished packing as much as possible. Kids wanted to use the boogie board. So P1, P2 and I decided to drive to Kaanapali beach for one last swim. We took the boogie board. Initially, the waves were little. In another 30 minutes, the waves were tossing us around like a toy. I sat on the shore for a while watching P1 and P2. I wanted a last minute dip. I joined them. In no time, I was also tossed. I lost my prescription glasses. P1 and P2 searched for it for a while to no avail. Luckily, P1’s prescription glasses helped to drive back to Papakea. I was feeling miserable losing my glasses. We decided to go back and check in “Lost & Found” section of nearby resorts. No luck!
Before leaving Maui, we wanted to have a good buffet breakfast. Hyatt had a place called “Swan Court”. We headed there. It was quite a spread. We wanted to try the various tropical fruits there. It was worth the dollars spent there. After that, we went back to Kaanapali area. We checked in the lost & found area for my glasses again. They got our home phone number, in case it washed ashore.
We went back to Papakea, returned the boogie board, loaded the entire luggage in the car and checked out. We drove toward Napili and west. After Kapalua, we passed the Ritz Carlton area. “Dragon’s teeth” is the next attraction on that stretch. Wind erosion has created lava rocks in the form of big teeth. We spent some time there tracking a group of sea turtles floating near the rocks. We continued to drive west. The road will narrow and become unpaved stretch for about 10 miles. After that, it will meet up with a connecting road that leads up to the Airport area. Our initial plan was to do the loop and go to the Airport that way. But, since we got delayed leaving the resort, I wanted to drive back through Lahaina and Maalea.
Before turning back, we went to two other attractions Hanolua bay and Nakalele blowhole. To reach the blowhole, we had to hike about 20 minutes down. It was more of rock hopping. Blowhole is a hole in the lava rock. Depending on the tide and force of the waves, water blows out of the hole like a fountain. Maui gets its high tide in the afternoon. We were there close to high tide. But we could not see a big spout as predicted. It was already close to 5 PM. I wanted to head back, expecting at least 90 minutes drive to the rental car location.
We reached Alamo near the Airport and dropped the car off. We got into the shuttle and got to the terminal around 7 PM. Check-in and the reset went very smooth. After security checkpoint, we found a place that served veggie burgers. Plane to San Francisco left on time around 9:30 PM 


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb