Road To Hana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
March 19th 1998
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hana. We don’t really know what’s in Hana, so naturally our expectations are moderate at best. We’re celebrating spring break. We don’t care, our schedule is flexible. We just want to get away from the “big city” of Honolulu. If you visit Maui, apparently travelling “The road to Hana” is a must do experience. Buying in to this hype, we navigate our car towards this scenic route and set out for Hana.

The idea of going to Hana is a popular one. The road is not as packed as a LA or NYC rush hour, but definitely more trafficked than what you would expect of a coastal highway leading to who knows where. The narrow roads leave little space for passing the car in front of you. Even if there was, passing one car would instantly put you behind the next one. If the driver in front of you has decided to chill and enjoy the scenery, that’s what you’ll be doing as well.

This trip should not be rushed though. Hitting the accelerator and putting as many miles behind you in as short time as possible is something you can do on the mainland Interstates through barren landscapes or in between cities. This is one ride you want to slow down and just take pleasure in. The scenery from the road is spectacular. Driving on this serpentine road, you have the lush mountains with the occasional waterfall on one side, and cliffs towering up from the blue ocean on the other side. Add to this a near perfect climate with sunny and blue skies. Imagine what this Hana place must be like!

A number of hours, miles, and scenic photo shots, we reach our destination. It's not a big city. It's not a town. It hardly even qualifies as a village. What feels like the end of the world, the last outpost before the vast ocean, is nothing but a few scattered houses. A luxury hotel or two. A post office. A souvenir shop.

That's all, folks. Thanks for joining us. Now buy your postcard, get a stamp in the post office, take a picture, and then turn back the same way you came from.

Despite being on this island, by many is considered paradise on earth, this settlement feels like the most isolated place on earth. Sometimes the journey outshines the destination. Fortunately, the road is equally spectacular driving the opposite direction...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.362s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb