Not much to do, with no bags in Wailuku!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Wailuku
September 8th 2014
Published: September 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I didn't really have too much of a great sleep, I don't know if this was because I'd slept quite well on the last flight or that the light outside our room was quite bright, plus the bed was by the window and there were all sorts of noises going on. I usually hate noise keeping me awake, but it was quite nice to hear all the different sounds of the birds chirping and even the cockerels when they started at 0430! Daryl thankfully had a good sleep and joined me in the land of living at about 7ish.

I really wanted to go to the airport to collect our bags, but as Daryl reminded me, just because they arrived on the 6 am flight, didn't mean we could have them ASAP, as the airline desk didn't open until 10am. They said they could drop them off to us by 12, so we decided having our bags 2 hours earlier than that, didn't really matter too much in comparison to the faffing about and further expenditure of taxis etc. Since the trip to Iao Valley was leaving at 10, and we wouldn't have any hiking or swimming gear by then we sadly crossed our names off the list made the decision to spend the morning having a look around the local area. We showered and got back into yesterday's clothes, which didn't feel too great, but as Daryl kindly reassured me ' we may be honking, but at least we're honking together'

Downstairs we met a nice guy called Matt on reception and paid for the room. He was happy for us to just pay a night at a time which is good as although we are planning to stay here for the week, it gives us flexibility in case we change our minds. He also reassured us we didn't need to be around to wait for our bags, so we had a walk into town to see what's what.

When we booked the hostel, I knew it wasn't in a great area, but we weren't concerned with that as we'd planned to be out on the day trips. There isn't really an awful lot to do in Wailuko, but we found a lovely Cafe, ' and ordered a breakfast bagel and a wrap. We wandered about for most of the morning scoping out places to eat for later and having a look in a few shops. A lot seem to have an Asian influence rather than American, and this was confirmed in the nearest 'grocery store' which had loads of weird and wonderful food options to stir fry. The mountains that we hadn't seen when we arrived under the cover of darkness provided a gorgeous luscious green backdrop to this dusty little town. By 11am I was quite tired and a little hot and Daryl said he could do with a power hour as well, so we decided to go back to the bungalow for a snooze until our bags turned up.

The power hour actually turned into 5, but on waking we had a note on our door to see reception-HURRAH! Our bags were here! We unpacked and excitedly showered, and clean clothes really did feel good.

We headed out for food, and decided on a little Pizzeria, where I ordered a Greek salad and slice of pizza and Daryl had a steak sandwich and chips. This didn't fill him up so he too ordered a slice of pizza and the guy behind the counter nicely threw in a free slice too. He said he 'loved our accent' and asked where we were from. 'Im from Wales and Em is from England' Daryl told him. 'gee I love your accent, is that like, near Australia?' 'No, UK!' We told him, but I don't think he knew where that was either!

Across the road we bought some supplies for breakfast like porridge, fruit salad, yogurt and cereal bars, and some milk for a treat when we got back, as contained within my lost luggage was the treasure of 40 Tetley Tea bags (Heaven!) Back at Banana Bungalow, we had a game of pool and a nice cup of tea (how rock and roll are we?) and headed to bed just after 9. Tomorrow we managed to get booked on the day trip 'The road to Hana' which looks amazing and includes some of the places our friends Gaz and Ali had recommended, so we are really looking forward to getting out and finally seeing the beauty that is Hawaii.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb