Helicopter Tour!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
July 26th 2014
Published: July 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another early start to our day - we arrived at the helicopter tour office at 7:45. After checking in, we had to get weighed so they could decide where to seat us in the helicopter. Happily, no numbers were visible to us! It's been more than a week of good eating! We were given our safety briefing, and were very pleased with their thoroughness and professionalism. A short drive to the helipad at the airport, more safety info, and it was time to board the helicopter. We were seated, strapped in, and got our headphones on. The headphones were to cancel the noise of the engine, and the pilot also narrated our flight through them.

We were all a little anxious, but the liftoff was smooth and before we knew it we were way up in the air! The sights were spectacular and absolutely breathtaking. Our pilot, Ben, told us what we were seeing as we flew over, around, and into canyons and cliffs. (Well, obviously we didn't fly into any cliffs...) There were a few stomach-dropping moments as we came up over the rim of a cliff and the earth was suddenly way, way further down than it had been seconds before! But it was a fantastic experience, and all of us were very happy that we'd decided to do it.

Once back on earth, we took a drive up to the North Shore of the island, just to see what there was to see. This also turned out to be great fun. We stopped at a town called Kapa'a, to do a bit of shopping in the 'old town' neighborhood. Lots of small shops and a nice, laid-back feel to it. Patti and Allison scored some fabulous fresh pineapple at a little fruit stand, thus checking off one more 'need-to-do' from our list. We had lunch in the town of Hanalei, which had a real nice beach-town vibe. And might also be the town mentioned in "Puff the Magic Dragon." (We're not absolutely sure about that.)

A leisurely drive back to Po'ipu, a good meal at the Beach House Restaurant, and another great day drew to a close in Kaua'i.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Famous waterfallFamous waterfall
Famous waterfall

This is the spot where the helicopter first sets down in the movie "Jurassic Park." We saw no dinosaurs, however.
One of the canyonsOne of the canyons
One of the canyons

This area doesn't get as much rain, which is why it's not as green.
Up high to see the coastUp high to see the coast
Up high to see the coast

It was like looking at a postcard, but it was real!
Rocky cliffs from aboveRocky cliffs from above
Rocky cliffs from above

We had cruised past here on Friday - now getting a different perspective.
Kilauea Lighthouse on the North ShoreKilauea Lighthouse on the North Shore
Kilauea Lighthouse on the North Shore

Looks tropical - you know you're not in the Outer Banks or New England!
What did Craig just say?!What did Craig just say?!
What did Craig just say?!

In the bar at our hotel after dinner.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb