Sleeping Under the Stars, Polihale State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 8th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We set off to the, to us, remote state park of Polihale. By remote i mean as far as you can go on the road around Kaua'i. Driving from a lush and tropical northern parts of Kaua'i near Hanalei in a town called princeville, through the dry and desertlike southern part to the western part and the long and wide Polihale beach. A good 1,5 hour drive, not including the stops for gas and food, with the last 20 minutes on dirt roads.

Arriving at the beautiful northern part of the beach with its high cliffs and looking south along the wide and far stretched beach. In front only opened ocean with endless of waves ever so slowly carving the beaches.

It is here where we will be spending the night under the stars and the moon. We start off by getting a fire going, grilling some food and drinking cold beer while watching the sun set over the vast pacific ocean. The fire makes us enclosed in the darkness that surrounds us but as we move away from the fire the moon reveals a different story. Though dark, the gloomy light lets us see the details of the mountains as they fall into the ocean as the sound of waves breaking cuts the silence like thunder.

As I lay under the stars watching the clouds, lit up by the moon, rapidly fly by and an occasional shooting star, sleep isn't far away. I wake up just before sunrise just watching the dark become light. As soon as the sun hit the beach the mild temperature swiftly turns to a staggering hot temperature. And the only way to cool off is in the wild waves of the ocean amongst the early surfers.

We packed up our things and headed for breakfast at the cosy diner Grinds. A typical american diner with a meny of very typical american breakfast. I had the pancakes and french toast with coffee. Good prices with food that will not make you go hungry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb