The Ditch Trail, Waimea Canyon, Koke'e State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 10th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We began our daytrip yet again driving almost the full length of the main road around Kaua'i. Turning off at Waimea and onto the Waimea Canyon Drive. A most beautiful stretch of road with multiple stops for amazing views over the Waimea Canyon. We made our first stop at the beginning of the canyon. As i parked the car and lit my hand rolled cigarette, of the brand Natural American Spirit, i soaked in the beauty of the green and dirt brown mountains falling in to the canyon.

We made several stops along the way. Each stop with more beauty then my small mind could comprehend. We eventually arrived to the end of the road with the most amazing view over the Kalalau Valley.

We backtracked to a dirt road leading into the jungle and drove maybe 20 minutes until we decided that our car wouldn't go any further. We geared up and walked the rest of the dirt road until we hit the head of Dirt Trail. A fairly easy trail with deathly drops and lush jungle. Eventually we came to the end of the trail but decided to go further onto the "finger" leading right out to the middle of the Waimea Canyon. This was, for me, a trial to overcome my fear of heights. A narrow ridge with drops on both sides more then 300 meters straight down. We walked until we couldn't get any further. The wind was picking up and i could feel my, now uncontrollable, legs loosing its grip. A gust came over the ridge and made a small swirl wind on the other side of the ridge. We decided to walk back before the wind got even more agressive. Although the danger the view was most amazing.

On the way back i was filled with adrenaline and happiness. I just wondered why the man who at albatross for the first time killed himself.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb