Oct 19th Blog Entry - Build Day #2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, it’s already Tuesday and the time is going fast for us. It’s build day #2. It was Sunny and hot today and with the work that was done, rest assure there was a lot of sweating was going on.

Our team once again met at the Habitat Restore first thing in the morning and worked there for about an hour. Our tasks were to de-label items that were donated by local stores. These items will then be sold at the Kaua’i Restore Thrift Shop, which raises more money, which allows Habitat to build more homes. Why de-labeling you ask? As Cindy and Bob explained it, removing the UPC and/or store tags from the items is necessary to prevent shoppers from buying items at Restore for substantially less but then turning around and returning them to the store that donated them for a full price. We went thru many boxes and skids with items such as cabinet knobs, light fixtures, light bulbs, tile, grout, and even Christmas tree stands.

Once this was done, our team then split up into 2 groups.

About ½ the team went back to continue working on the home. While our entire team spent all of Monday installing the trusses, now the sub-group sent back to the build site primarily worked on hurricane reinforcing tasks (strapping walls to the foundation beam, lateral truss bracing, etc) Of course, this is something we’re not used to doing on homes built in Wisconsin.

The remaining stayed back at the shop and started the process of building additional trusses for the porches. All said and done, 12 trusses were needed, which meant today involved cutting all the wood for them. By the end of the day, all wood was cut, and the sub-group assembled 4 of the 12 trusses.

When our work day was done, we once again headed to the beach for a little R&R. We ordered food from the Shrimp Station and ate on picnic tables. The owner of the Shrimp Station owns a home built by Habitat. The food was awesome - our team order included such things as shrimp tacos, golden shrimp, coconut shrimp, etc…

Day 3 blog to be posted soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st October 2010
Posing on the potties!  Pat, Lois, Lisa - Sorry, just had to share :)

Love it!
Love the photo of the porcelain queens! :)
21st October 2010

Lisa S
Hey Lisa Glad to see you are keeping up that tan on the potties. Can't wait to see your photos.
21st October 2010

How come I'm not seeing Pat at work? She isn't napping by any chance??? Nice work guys! I'm enjoying this journey with you. Stay safe.
21st October 2010

Yeah!
My favorite girls, on their potties! loved the pictures, sis, sis and Pat!
22nd October 2010

3 queens on the throne
What a terrific job you all are doing! I really enjoy all the news and pictures you are forwarding to keep us in touch. Makes me feel good to know I was a very little part of this just by donating. As for the beauties on the toilet, I grew up with them. Nothing has changed, whenever there was work to do, they had to go to the bathroom.....I love you guys! Lori
22nd October 2010

Great Job
Thanks for sharing. It was great, also, Greg, it was so nice to see you. Thanks to everyone for all you do, you all are a blessing. Thanks
22nd October 2010
Posing on the potties!  Pat, Lois, Lisa - Sorry, just had to share :)

job
Hey you guys, what's this sitting down on the job huh? We thought you went there to work. Good picture though. Love Mom
22nd October 2010
Posing on the potties!  Pat, Lois, Lisa - Sorry, just had to share :)

pottey
You mean you sit right there for everyone to see?
23rd October 2010

Aunt Pat Rocks!!
Hey Everyone!!! Great job so far on your mission! Tell my Aunt Pat to get up off the "Pot" and finish her job!! Miss ya Aunt Pat....You Rock!!!
1st November 2010

picture is worth a thousand words or 9 comments!
Hey Greg, I guess we should have sent more of our break photos so we could entertain our audience better. lol Thanks for all your hard work on the blog, you did an awesome job!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb