Tsunami Warnings


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
January 12th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

FIRST DAY WELCOMEFIRST DAY WELCOMEFIRST DAY WELCOME

this one will always be special as it was a gorgeous full rainbow with the most of a double arch on our first day in Hanalei Bay
January 12-19, 2007

After a lengthy delay in Honolulu, a short island-hopper flight delivered us to Kauai at twilight on Friday, Jan. 12. This smaller island is MUCH less developed. Nearly 2/3 of the island is inaccessible by car, and the jagged, steep mountains with their lush rain forests are unlike anything we have ever seen. We found a hidden-away seafood restaurant before driving to the north side of the island where we had booked a timeshare swap. During our dinner we heard the NOAA radio alarm, announcing the earthquake in Alaska and possible tsunami in Hawaii. That certainly changed the relaxed attitude we had, since we were headed exactly into the northern most tip of all the Hawaiian islands (and in the dark, no less.) Suffice to say, when we heard the warning had been lifted at 10.30 p.m., we were relieved! We stayed in Princeville, where the road goes down into the Hanalei Valley (land of the 8 one lane bridges) to a quaint little town and beautiful Hanalei Bay.

As is often the case with such trips, our time seemed both leisurely and hurried as we felt relaxed but wanted to fit a lot into our
VIEWVIEWVIEW

from our condo balcony - where the weather begins each day
week. The best adventure of our stay was a wonderful boat ride (aboard a 40-foot catamaran) on which we saw manta rays, sea turtles, spinner dolphins, and numerous whales plus views of the island that were very special along the Na Pali coast. We went snorkeling, had a very nice lunch, and thoroughly enjoyed just being on the water. We also saw some amazing views of the island on a helicopter ride (a little bit cramped for Jennie’s liking), drove up along Waimea canyon “the Grand Canyon of Hawaii” (spectacular), attended a luau (great fun and good food!), visited several lovely beaches (including two that were prominent in the filming of South Pacific), imagined the filming of Jurassic Park every time we looked out our condo window and saw two gorgeous double rainbows. Kauai’s mountains are the rainiest spot on earth with roughly 650 inches per year, so there are fantastic waterfalls and the weather routinely brightens after (if not during) a shower. Although our condo had only a tiny kitchen, it was nice to cook for ourselves after all the traveling and restaurants, and we found a really nice local fish market to try some interesting new tastes.
KILAUEA LIGHT HOUSEKILAUEA LIGHT HOUSEKILAUEA LIGHT HOUSE

looms high on a point over a huge bird sanctuary which is home to red-footed boobies, albatross, and other ocean birds.

Kauai has another interesting feature: the island has been overrun by feral chickens and roosters. Back two major hurricanes ago, the hen houses were destroyed and many not rebuilt by the second devastating storm. So the birds were not only set free but were literally blown all over the island. Rumor has it that some may have been fighting cocks. In any case, they wander everywhere and make lots of early morning crowing, unchecked because there are no mongoose (mongeese?) or other natural predators, and it's illegal for people to kill them. We did witness the decrease in daily chick marches - where one day there might be 6 following momma hen and the next day only 3. So some are disappearing at the "hands" of dogs, cats, etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

SURFSURF
SURF

at Ke'e beach after the tsunami threat - quite impressive
CALMER SEASCALMER SEAS
CALMER SEAS

at Kapa'a Beach
BALI HAIBALI HAI
BALI HAI

the actual mountain tops that made up the fictional island of Bali Hai in the movie South Pacific are here to the left, above Ke'e beach.
ANOTHERANOTHER
ANOTHER

rainbow - they are always intriguing and magical
SPINNER DOLPHINSSPINNER DOLPHINS
SPINNER DOLPHINS

swimming alongside our boat - there had to be about 30 in this group, frolicking about the hull, wanting to race, and jumping in response to noise such as clapping or whistling.
SAILING NORTHSAILING NORTH
SAILING NORTH

along the Na Pali coastline - totally inaccessible by car at this point
WAIMEA CANYONWAIMEA CANYON
WAIMEA CANYON

compared by some to the Grand Canyon--we wouldn't know at this point, but it was pretty large and spectacular--here on this island so far away!
WAIMEA CANYON 2WAIMEA CANYON 2
WAIMEA CANYON 2

another canyon view - so hard to capture the sheer magnitude of it
WATERFALLSWATERFALLS
WATERFALLS

from the helicopter - just one of many, gorgeous treats mother nature provides
FERAL ROOSTERFERAL ROOSTER
FERAL ROOSTER

their internal clocks are NOT set to the sunrise!
THE SOUTH PACIFICTHE SOUTH PACIFIC
THE SOUTH PACIFIC

movie set built this pier back in the 50's for the movie and it has since been rebuilt for the enjoyment of the Hanalei residents and visitors


12th February 2007

Nice
These pictures bring back a lot of memories. Seems like a long time since I visited these same places you two are doing now, I guess its at least 25 years, from the looks of things nothing has changed. The sad part is that Marilyn never made them with me. Someday maybe. Enjoy, Dick
14th February 2007

Just incredible......I'm not sure that this doesn't replace the train trip for me....What beauty, except possibly the two people who are in several of the pictures...

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb