Life in Tucson - Part 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
February 9th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SNOW IN TUCSONSNOW IN TUCSONSNOW IN TUCSON

Unfortunately the frost and snow hit right at the peak of fruit season.
January 20-Feb. 3, 2007
While we were in Hawaii, Tucson had a serious cold snap. Unfortunately, the result was that over 700 homes, including the one we are renting, had frozen pipes. The resulting water damage has wiped out our master bedroom, so we are now living in a smaller space than we planned on. The owners have been great, repair work is underway, and our spirits are undampened.

We are trying to pack as much as possible into the time we have here. We have joined a local racquet and fitness club where Andy is working out and playing tennis and Jennie is swimming. We have our library cards, are—between us—taking three courses at the local community college, have spent a wonderful day at the Sonora Desert Museum and another at the Chiricahua National Monument and Fort Bowie, been to two Univ. of Arizona baseball games and a performance of Madama Butterfly, played our first round of golf, and tried 3 or 4 local restaurants so far.

We marvel daily at the magnificent mountains that surround the city, the spectacular sunsets, enjoy biking here and there in this very bike-friendly and navigable area, are learning a good deal
SNOW IN THE FOOTHILLSSNOW IN THE FOOTHILLSSNOW IN THE FOOTHILLS

The snow and blue sky brought out the green in the desert - see next picture for the contrast and what we see daily.
about the plant and wildlife of the region and as much as we can about its history. Andy has made a good connection with the Univ. of Arizona baseball coaches, who are quite welcoming of his looking on and asking questions, and Jennie is, among other things, spending a good deal of time on her photography, as the accompanying pictures make clear. We have experienced the world famous Gem Show and are looking forward to the Rodeo coming up next week.

We are watching for signs of spring, which can appear either quite quietly and randomly or with a lot of flourish! Apparently the key is the amount of rain received during the late fall and early winter and then additional rain here in these months will contribute to the "show." Everything looks pretty dormant to these New England eyes, but occasionally we'll be surprised with some color on a bush. The desert, however, looks so brown and dry. We are comforted by the fact that the rattlesnakes are in hibernation. We learned that the agave plant (looks like an aloe plant) spends most it's life growing sharp spikes. Then it will send out a large and powerful center shoot/flower and die. The flower shoot grows very fast. If you are lucky enough to witness it, they say you can see it grow 3-5 inches a day. (see photo) More on the arrival of spring in Tucson later.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

BREATHTAKING SUNSETSBREATHTAKING SUNSETS
BREATHTAKING SUNSETS

and yes, the color was that firey orange--you just never know what it will look like!
DESERT MUSEUMDESERT MUSEUM
DESERT MUSEUM

A barn owl during the "raptors in flight" demonstration
DESERT MUSEUMDESERT MUSEUM
DESERT MUSEUM

just can't get enough of the cacti and dry terrain.
AGAVE AGAVE
AGAVE

after it has set it's flower and died
VIEW OF TUCSON VIEW OF TUCSON
VIEW OF TUCSON

at night from the "A" mountain (Arizona Wildcats)
GEM SHOWGEM SHOW
GEM SHOW

Amythest -- just one of MANY, MANY specimens
GEM SHOW 2GEM SHOW 2
GEM SHOW 2

and if the purple wasn't your style, how about this gold one, maybe placed in the foyer....
NEIGHBORHOOD ARTNEIGHBORHOOD ART
NEIGHBORHOOD ART

just 2 blocks from us. This is a great show of public art. Can imagine what else is in his yard..
CHIRICAHUA NATIONAL MONUMENTCHIRICAHUA NATIONAL MONUMENT
CHIRICAHUA NATIONAL MONUMENT

amazing rock formations - you can barely get the feel for the enormity of these stacks of rocks
CHIRICAHUA CLOSE-UPCHIRICAHUA CLOSE-UP
CHIRICAHUA CLOSE-UP

can you guess the name of this formation? (sea captain)


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb