Hula and Heiau


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
November 1st 2013
Published: November 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Favorite quote from yesterday: "You can only run around the parking lots" from an older runner returning as I was going out, in response me asking for a good place to run. I realized I should have told him that he wasn't locked in.....even though the gate shuts behind your car....

On Friday morning, I walked down to the Hapaiali'i and Ke'eku Heiaus next to the condo grounds, after getting advice from the reef "docent" about access to these ancient sites, since they are closed off from the road by chain link fence due to construction.. There is an unmarked trail right beside the last condo building that leads to a beach and the shrines. These two heiaus have been reconstructed by Kamehameha Schools in 2007. Hapaiali'i Heiau is believed to date back to the 1400s (carbon dating indicates that it was built between 1411 and 1465).

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/bigislandofhawaiiphotos/ig/keauhou_beach_resort_photos/keauhou_beach_resort_023.htm



The Heiaus are fronted by wonderful tide pools, and I decided to return at low tide to look for the petroglyphs I'd read about and to explore the tide pools. Bill came with me and we eventually found a petroglyph..very cool. It was in the shape of a
Ke'eku HeiauKe'eku HeiauKe'eku Heiau

Wooden carvings
sea turtle.

http://lovingthebigisland.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/the-beautiful-enigmatic-and-cryptic-petroglyphs-of-hawaii-island/

After breakfast we headed south to Two-Step beach for more snorkeling. John and Linda (our absent hosts...) recommended it and it was well worth the drive. We took the back roads home, seeing coffee farms and small towns along the way.

Friday evening we walked back down to King Kamehameha's birthplace and then we walked to the shopping mall to attend a hula exhibition, put on by a 150 year old Halau O Po'ohala (hula school) from Waimea. The show was exquisite, with dancers ranging from 7 to 84 years old. The first part, consisting of old style hula was my favorite, and more beautiful than any dance performance I have ever seen...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hapaiali'i HeiauHapaiali'i Heiau
Hapaiali'i Heiau

This works as a calendar
Ke'eku HeiauKe'eku Heiau
Ke'eku Heiau

Took years to construct by hand, only months to reconstruct with machines....
Fish!Fish!
Fish!

I moved this pair into open water, when I saw them trapped in a quickly draining pool...


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb