The Island the Volcano Built


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Hilo
December 5th 2015
Published: December 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1802IMG_1802IMG_1802

Orchids aren't native to Hawaii, but very popular. This place we visited had 1,000 varieties.
Aloha,

Our first stop was the Island of Hawai'i. It was formed many centuries ago by volcanic eruption. This is the largest land mass on earth that was created by a volcano. It is said that when the Goddess Pele is angered, a volcano erupts. The island sinks about three inches per year because of the weight of the lava. So much of the island is vast expanses of grey, however vegetation grows back quickly--the 100 plus inches of rainfall each year makes that possible.

The Island of Hawai'i boasts eleven of the thirteen weather systems from snow on mountain tops to rain forests. The only two missing are full Saharan and Arctic.

Sugar cane was the main crop for many years, but now they grow only enough for their own use. The Dole plant closed and now canned pineapple comes from anywhere but Hawaii. Cattle ranching is big and they grow specialty crops: macadamia nuts, and papaya. Kona coffee is a big attraction. It sells for up to $40.00 a pound! However, every bean is picked by hand. 90% of goods used in Hawaii comes in containers from the closest land--2500 miles away. Land, housing and food
IMG_1775IMG_1775IMG_1775

Volcanoes National Park.
is expensive, but that is offset by savings on heating and cooling. Electricity is the more expensive than any other state, but some power is produced from volcanic heat, plus hydro from rivers and wind turbine. Solar panels are seen frequently. The only source of money in Hawaii comes from tourism and military.


We learned about a volcanic eruption that happened in November, 1959. The lava fountain shot 2000 feet into the air. The activity continued for 36 days. An estimated 750,000 people witnessed it. I asked about insurance. Seems you can't buy insurance against lava damage, but if you have shrubs that catch fire from the lava and that sets your house on fire, you may be covered. I asked a multi-generational Hawaiian if they live in fear of another eruption. He said, "we learn to live with our Gods."

A hui ho,

Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

IMG_1787IMG_1787
IMG_1787

During volcanic eruption in 1959, pieces of lava were shot high into the air. Pieces landed in trees and are still there.


5th December 2015

Thank you for letting me share your trip; I always enjoy hearing about the many places you travel.
5th December 2015

Learning!
Every time you travel, it's as if I have a live history book teaching me. Thank you for that!
5th December 2015

Ta!
I love it when you travel and blog.
5th December 2015

Your on your way!,,
Great intro to you trip this year. Looking forward to your upcoming comments and travelling the world with you at no cost to yours truly. Brian

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb