Place of Refuge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
December 6th 2015
Published: December 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1805IMG_1805IMG_1805

The Place of Refuge is a sacred place. It is protected by these characters.
Aloha,

The original human settlers in Hawaii were a peaceful bunch. They believed in sharing and living in harmony. That worked until the Tahitans arrived. They established a caste system: the chief, the priests, the warriors, the teachers, the common folks and the slaves. They also developed a system called "Kapu"--think "taboo". Rules were arbitrary and were based on 20% protection of resources and 80% need for power.

The penalties for breaking a rule--eating the wrong food at the wrong time, etc.--were harsh. It could involve loss of a body part or even death. There was, however a loop hold. If they could get to the Place of Refuge, or pu'uhonua, they could reflect on their sins and be pardoned by the priest. After a few days, they could go home.

This system of control continued for centuries, until Captain Cook arrived in 1778. The Royalty at the time abolished this traditional religious practice 1819 by breaking the rules themselves.

A hui ho,

Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

IMG_1806IMG_1806
IMG_1806

The bones of royalty are buried here, so no blood can be shed on these grounds. That was the reason lawbreakers ran here.
IMG_1817IMG_1817
IMG_1817

It is surrounded by a wall of stone that is 17' deep. Built from lava rock, there is no mortar.
IMG_1816IMG_1816
IMG_1816

This is an inland pond that was established in the refuge. They caught fish, but then kept the fish in this pond to give everyone a reliable source of food.


Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb