Westward Ho


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia
June 2nd 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.7515, -84.7477

We woke up this morning no worse for wear. The evening had been a lot of fun and we both slept well after our baby fix. We left the hotel just before 8 AM and headed back to the city for another look. Lindsay's father, Bob, gave us some pointers on where to go to get a better view of Charleston. We drove to The Battery, which is a promenade down by the harbor, known for its Antebellum homes. Other than Lady Antebellum, I had never heard that term before, but my research indicates that it means homes built before the war…and in many cases it refers to the Civil War. We drove along the seawall on Murray Blvd. (no kidding) and looked at many incredible old mansions facing the harbor. They were mostly brick and stone, many were of the Architecture of the South, with white pillars and porticos. And there was a large park with canons and canon balls piled high, aimed out at the water. In the harbor is an island and on that island sits Fort Sumter, and a little research reminded me that it was there that a famous battle culminated in the beginning of the War Between the States.

We drove through neighboring areas of cobble stone streets and old buildings, many of Federal architecture, with their flat facades, touching each other but painted many different pastel colors. And we saw stucco, clapboard, stone, brick, cement blocks, all mixed together in many styles, and all looking very old but in good condition. And we saw a lot of beautiful churches. For anyone who wonders about the people that came to settle this country, whom they were and why they came, one only needs to visit the old cities on the east coast, like Boston, Charleston, and Savannah, and see that there is a big beautiful old church around every corner.

After seeing the sights…thanks Bob…we turned the car west and headed for Georgia. We drove through Columbia, SC, Augusta and on toward Atlanta. The next few hours were unremarkable, with miles and miles of interstate, couched in tall green trees with few exits and a lot of, what appeared to be, sparsely populated areas.

Eventually we reached Atlanta and, since it was Sunday, we decided to take a tour of the city up close, not fearing any traffic issues. And it turned out to be a good decision, because we drove freely all through the streets, between the skyscrapers, at times not being able to see the tops of buildings because we were so close to them. The Bank of America building is the tallest at 55 stories, and what a gorgeous piece of architecture it is. After we had seen enough, we resumed our trek westward, past Six Flags and landed in Douglasville, where we stopped for the night.



Advertisement



3rd June 2013

Glad to know you saw Charleston. We loved it! God speed and keep safe. We will be following your progress. Pat
6th June 2013

Glad you are off to a good start. I love Charleston - one of my favorite cities to visit.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb