Touring Savannah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia
January 30th 2016
Published: January 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

As we sit at the Tybee Island RV Park the 30 Jan date that we had originally planned for our departure has finally arrived. We never imagined that we would already be 9 days into our trip by then. Fortunately we found a great little RV park run by the city and had a chance to visit Savannah just 13 miles up the road. What a great city with a lot of history. Much like Charleston the city is steeped in both Revolutionary and Civil war history except that Savannah did not get burned to the ground like Charleston did so much of the old original town exist to this day and they have done a great job of preserving the homes and gardens. The riding/walking tour allowed us to get off the bus at any of the sixteen stops and catch the next bus that came by. One stop was the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, a beautiful structure with some impressive stained glass windows. Lunch was at the haunted Pirates House and it was delicious. And of course you can't visit Savannah without visiting the Wormsloe Estate with the iconic road through the trees. It was made that much better by doing it on the bike. Back here on the island we took some long walks on the beach where the Savannah River meets the Atlantic Ocean and we also did a great tour of Fort Pulaski just down the road.

It really is beginning to sink in that we are now "on the road" and not just on vacation for a few weeks. We are getting use to the routine and living in the RV. Yeah it's small but the weather has been pretty good so we spend a lot of time outside and going places. When we can't get out it's reading and relaxing, like retired people are suppose to do.

Monday we move to Jacksonville where we have both been many times. Zac is there so we have a place to do wash and watch the Super Bowl. There is a great movie theatre in the Orange Park Mall and there are a few movies we want to see so we will keep busy until Daytona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



31st January 2016

Trip Reports
Thanks for doing this, I really want to spend a few months on the road some day and will follow your trip as you head south then west then north :). See you guys when you get to California.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb