'Life is good'


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Tybee Island
April 22nd 2007
Published: April 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Atlanta - Savannah/Tybee Island


Tybee Island Light StationTybee Island Light StationTybee Island Light Station

It is the oldest lighthouse in Southern Coast of United States, completed in 1773.
Friday, April 20th, 2007 - Rincon and Savannah, Georgia: Earth Day

Today is one of America’s significant days for two main reasons. One, it is the official World’s Earth Day, the day when everybody ought to plan something ‘green’ for supporting our earth’s collapsed lungs. However, it was merely a suggestion, a more symbolic task than a functional one, and it wasn’t a surprise that I couldn’t find anyone here planting anything, even for a flower, showing our society’s honest attitude towards our lovely earth.

Two, it is the Remembrance Day for thirty-two victims (and one shooter?) in Virginia Tech’s shooting four days ago, and Americans are more responsive in this subject by showing the school’s colors of maroon and orange in their clothing. Kick’s Country radio conducted a couple minutes of silence at noon which followed by the somber ‘Please Remember Me’ by Tim McGraw. I looked down at my t-shirt and nodded; I had my maroon shirt, and I mourned as the nation did.

Weather has been very comfortable in the South, a moderate to upper 70s with no humidity and bright warm sun. A trip to Georgian shore sounded like a nice weekend excursion
SeagullsSeagullsSeagulls

I never realized that they could be so loud, fighting with each other over several leftover Pringles.
from Atlanta, and I had agreed earlier this week to join a trip to Savannah and Tybee Island at the left coast of Georgia.

Life is good, as I finally decided, as we were cruising down south on I-75 in Dustin’s new black 2007 Jeep Patriot. It still has a temporary tag and about 870 miles in the car, which reminded me of my rental car when I drove across the continent from Iowa to Georgia a couple years back. I miss those old days of road trips, but this time I was occupied by playing with ‘Bam-bam’, our nickname for the GPS navigation system that helped tremendously by directing us to our final destination (she liked to scorn at us if we missed our turns)

After about four hour driving east, we finally reached Rincon, Georgia where we would be staying over Dustin’s cousin Misty’s and her four-year old son Ethan’s house. Rincon is within forty minutes drive from Savannah, a strategic small town nearby the South Carolina and Georgia border.

Our journey turned into a pure hedonistic trip as the dusk fell over the Savannah’s sky. Misty’s friend Chuck joined us, and we ventured downtown
Savannah Drag showSavannah Drag showSavannah Drag show

Well, I have to admit that my first time Drag Show in Savannah is quite memorable. Here is Dustin tipping a big lady with big hair.
Savannah and were soaked into the nocturnal River Street night life. In between Jäeger bomb drinks, I wished it was Saturday as it supposed to be more active compared to dead Friday nights, and I found myself enjoying life and watching my first drag show in Savannah with my new buddies.

Nonetheless, we all had some great time together, and of course by going to bed around 4:30am had created many memorable drunk stories, notably of a disgrace incident of Dustin christening his own new Jeep on a MacDonald’s drive-through.


Saturday, April 21st, 2007 - Tybee Island, Georgia

Hanging out with some Southern folks was definitely worth mentioning, as I got accustomed to hearing familiar Southern drawls ‘let’s go to dawn-tawn Savannah’ and ‘Bless it, girl’, while sipping on my sweet-tea (although this came from my own habit, as the rest of the pack drinks their ‘coke’ instead of tea, but it is still a strong Southern element anyway).

Our major plan for this lazy Saturday was to catch some sun at the nearby Tybee Island, a famous and historical Georgian site on the Atlantic coast some forty minutes drive from Savannah. Although I couldn’t
Savannah's famous Spanish MossSavannah's famous Spanish MossSavannah's famous Spanish Moss

A quick glimpse at the Southern scenery in Savannah.
ask for a better bright sun, lower humidity weather and more perfect temperature, unfortunately it was far away from my thoughts of ideal beach vacationing. Unlike my recent Caribbean’s Spanish Virgin Islands beach experience, Tybee Island’s brown and cold water, along with sharp, jugged sand from broken shells kept me well in my beach towel, sunbathing.

In a nearby lot, a group of VT college students were being loud and silly, who reminded me of my own college life not too long ago. They were providing the rest of beach goers with some free entertainment by doing countless stupid drinking games, catching football and Frisbees before some beach patrols in their ATVs stopped by and wrote them several tickets for some unclear reasons. Obviously those policemen weren’t impressed with a possible underage drinking amongst the crowd and opened bottle alcohol containers or hard liquor on a public beach.

After getting some colors on our skins under a bright Tybee sun and occasional feeding some leftover Pringles to some melancholic seagulls, I decided to venture around the island and to check out the significant Tybee Island Light Station.

Tybee Island’s current lighthouse is the third attempt to secure
Bam-bam the NavigatorBam-bam the NavigatorBam-bam the Navigator

She's our friend in navigating the world, but unfortunately she's a little confused often times. Poor GPS.
a safety tower, and the construction started in 1768, marking one of the earliest lighthouse built in the nation and the first one being completed in the South (1773). The light could be seen eighteen miles away from the open Atlantic, providing major aid navigation for colonial and modern ships alike who wished to enter the Savannah River to State of Georgia.

After climbing its 178 steps to the top, the Coastal Georgia was revealed before my eyes. It was a nice closure to my visit in the Island.

The rest of the evening followed the same slower path, and we decided to stay in and wind down at home in sleepy Rincon, and somewhat nursing our sunburns from Tybee.


Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 - Savannah - Hilton Head International Airport, Georgia

After our miserably failed attempt of creating some fancy drinkable coffee with Misty’s household coffee maker, we finally gave up and decided that it worth our time and gas money to drive to the nearest Starbucks, some 20 miles away from Rincon. Our Starbucks mission brought us to the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport, giving me an opportunity to have a quick glimpse of
Y'all Come BackY'all Come BackY'all Come Back

This is the true Southern hospitality.
this newly completed airport.

My first sip of Dulce de Leche Latte washed away alcohol taste off my mouth. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who felt it, and Dustin even threw in a five dollar tip at the counter jar.

We are just some spoiled city kids, and after having lunch at a nearby Longhorns, we were heading back home to Atlanta.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Southern hospitalitySouthern hospitality
Southern hospitality

Whiew, she actually did yell at us because we were blocking her 'bitch boulevard'.
Drunk storiesDrunk stories
Drunk stories

Hahaha, there are many drunk stories that are not appropriate to tell here at the blog.
Rooftop Tavern, SavannahRooftop Tavern, Savannah
Rooftop Tavern, Savannah

The aliens glow in the dark.
Savannah's nocturnal lifeSavannah's nocturnal life
Savannah's nocturnal life

Just chilling after the sun goes down.
Belford's - SavannahBelford's - Savannah
Belford's - Savannah

See, we are in Savannah, Georgia.
Tybee lazy dayTybee lazy day
Tybee lazy day

Blue sky, white seagulls, warm sun. I'm all for it.
Tybee Island Light StationTybee Island Light Station
Tybee Island Light Station

The Light Station could be seen for over 18 miles at sea.
Typical Tybee Island panoramaTypical Tybee Island panorama
Typical Tybee Island panorama

Tybee Island vegetation and sand dunes, but the Light House is a dominant feature on the island.
Tybee Island seagullsTybee Island seagulls
Tybee Island seagulls

They are fighting over several Pringles some kids feeding them with, and they produce high pitch noise.
College kidsCollege kids
College kids

A group of college kids, drunk and play silly at Tybee Island beach. They remind me of old good days back in college, a couple years back.
Tybee Island FlagsTybee Island Flags
Tybee Island Flags

Half staff for the Virginia Tech shooting victims.
Palmetto palmPalmetto palm
Palmetto palm

The palm is the official South Carolina state tree.
Tybee Island lighthouseTybee Island lighthouse
Tybee Island lighthouse

From the museum ground, this is one of the oldest lighthouse in the continent, completed in 1773.
Headkeeper's houseHeadkeeper's house
Headkeeper's house

Now serves as a museum. This is the old fashion of ironing your clothes.
Tybee Island lighthouse shadowTybee Island lighthouse shadow
Tybee Island lighthouse shadow

It is pretty self-explainatory.
Top of Tybee Island Light StationTop of Tybee Island Light Station
Top of Tybee Island Light Station

The First Order Fresnel Lens, one of the thirteen original ones in the States that is still in use.
Inside Tybee Island lighthouseInside Tybee Island lighthouse
Inside Tybee Island lighthouse

I'm taking a break after climbing the 178 steps to the top of Tybee Island lighthouse.
Dustin with lighthouseDustin with lighthouse
Dustin with lighthouse

Notice that the fire hydrant resembles the lighthouse itself.


25th April 2007

hawsom
very nicw Halef, i realy enjoyed the pictures and also the story, interesting and entertaining. having been there myself, i must admit, it is a marvelous place
25th April 2007

love the blog,you should wright a book.I cant wait for you guys to come back to visit although next time we will stop dustin after the sixth long island tea. We will visit hilton head next time so that you can add that to your blog. Take care hope to see you soon!
26th April 2007

Hey Halef, I see that you kind of enjoyed your trip. I am going to Savannah this weekend and I hope that I enjoy mysef as you did. Poor Dustin.....I am glad that it was his jeep and no one else's.

Tot: 0.69s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 29; qc: 144; dbt: 0.2892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb