Cranking down to the finish line


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
August 15th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.7481, -84.3909

Today was another travel day. We left Paducah at 8:10 and 72 degrees and headed south. We planned a slightly shorter day today because we were moving back into the eastern time zone and losing an hour. (We had to get to The Drury Hotel in time for "Kick-back"…free drinks and appetizers. Smile) And, despite the fact that we got hung up in traffic going through Atlanta, we made it with time to spare.

We drove through Kentucky for a while this morning and, in addition to some farm land, we also saw horses grazing in green pastures. No surprise, it is Kentucky. We crossed the Tennessee River today, twice. Not sure how that works. We drove through a lot of Tennessee, including Nashville. I got shots of the batman building, otherwise known as the AT&T building. (Sharon…shhhhhh.) And we drove right into the center of the city to see the capitol building. And that is exactly where it is, surrounded by skyscrapers. It is built on top of a rocky hill so that it sits really high, and it takes up a block of the city, not a big block, but none the less, a block. I tried to get photos of it, but it was a real challenge. Standing in the street, it is so high up that you can't really see much of it, just the top. (It was strange, because no other building around it is located on as high a spot. Apparently they took the ground around it down.) I walked around to the front of the block and climbed a lot of stairs to get to a vantage point where I could get a photo. And this was only part way up. There were still a lot of stairs to climb to get to the front door. When you look at the photos, you will see that the rocks that the building is sitting on are eroding away on one side and it appears that nothing is being done about it.

From there we drove through Georgia to our hotel in Atlanta. We are now “kicking back”, complements of Drury.

Beamer is holding up well. He slept most of the day. We just conducted an experiment. Does he prefer pop corn (which he loves) or Pup Corn (a doggie treat that tastes like peanut butter or cheese). We put one of each on the floor…the Pup Corn won! I was wrong. I thought he would go for the pop corn first. You never know.

Tomorrow, the beach. I will publish one more time, as I always do, looking back on this odyssey and computing the miles we drove, the states we visited, etc. and have some closing thoughts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th August 2014

I ran my first half marathon the Country Music in Nashville TN in 2009 and loved seeing the "Batman Building," along with the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb