Famous Places to Eat


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta » Midtown
May 6th 2024
Published: May 6th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Lovefood lists these places in our fifty states as unforgettable places to eat. I agree! Here are a few we have visited over the years.

What better place to dine in the Grand Canyon State than in the midst of the red rocks themselves? This fabled restaurant is tucked into the El Tovar Hotel, which has pride of place in Grand Canyon Village, and offers dramatic vistas of the surrounding landscapes from its large windows. On the menu are failsafe options such as steak, plus more unusual choices like oven-roasted duck with wild rice and a honey-bourbon chili glaze. The burger here is the BEST we have ever had!!

It's not hard to guess the specialty of this celebrated mom-and-pop joint on Maui's North Shore. Mama's Fish House is one of the best-loved restaurants across the archipelago, opened back in the 1970s by an adventurous traveling couple named Floyd and Doris Christenson. More than half a century later, it regularly tops lists denoting Hawaii's landmark restaurants and focuses on serving fresh island fish either broiled, baked, poached, or sautéed. My opinion is overpriced, though the scenery is nice.


The lovely resort city of Coeur d'Alene noses up to its namesake, a glittering water body encircled by mountains. And this brochure-worthy restaurant, Beverly's milks both the peak and lake views with its giant windows and prime location. Bag a table and drink in the vistas as you feast on butter-roasted diver scallops, goats' cheese gnocchi, or truffle-honey fried chicken. I thought it was very average for the price! But the scenery is fabulous!


A Miami Beach institution, Joe's Stone Crab dates back to 1913, when Joe Weiss opened a small lunch counter serving fresh seafood to locals. Still in the same family, it now has several locations, but the original spot remains as popular as ever. The restaurant is most famous for its stone crabs, just as the name suggests. Often visited by celebrities, it's also reportedly referenced in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger as Bill's on the Beach – the best meal James Bond ever had in his life. The original place had the best vibe and outstanding food. The new Miami location, along with Chicago and Vegas are acceptable.


Since opening in 1945, Mary Mac's Tea Room has grown from one dining room to six, but much else is the same as it ever was, from the order notepads on each table and the complimentary cornbread muffin for first-time diners, to the menu itself, which includes Southern favorites like fried chicken and peach cobbler. Over the years, it's welcomed visitors including the Dalai Lama, Beyoncé, James Brown, and Hillary Clinton. I love Mary Mac's!!!!


Many Hawaiians will tell you there's nothing like the original Roy's in Hawaii Kai, run by the James Beard Award–winning Roy Yamaguchi. Famous for its explosive Hawaiian-Japanese fusion cuisine, Roy's was also one of the first restaurants to bring poke into the mainstream. Signatures include the blackened ahi, plus exciting creations such as butterfish with sweet ginger and wasabi beurre blanc. For me, Roy's is hit or miss, depends on the chef.


St Elmo's Steakhouse in Indianapolis significant legacy helps make it one of the region's most memorable dining spots. Its history stretches right back to 1902, when it first opened in this very same location. Locals and tourists alike still love the classic decor – think pressed tin ceilings, exposed brick, and dark wood – and the traditional menu. Dine on perfectly cooked steaks, chops, and chicken, or seafood from yellowfin tuna to lobster tail. It is THE place to eat the night before the famous Indy 500!!


The Big Easy has a handful of legendary restaurants, and looming larger among them is Commander's Palace, a self-described 'New Orleans' landmark’. You can’t miss the striking exterior, with its gables, turrets, and wash of electric blue interrupted by white-striped awnings. But it's the menu that's really unforgettable; sample delectable offerings from Prosecco-poached jumbo lump crab to beef tartare with corn-fried oysters. I think everyone should go at least once. It is New Orleans in one stop!


The reputation of this Boston institution precedes it. The Union Oyster House has been operating since 1826 and is even credited as the first place a toothpick was ever used. Many presidents have passed through the historic threshold, including Bill Clinton, John F. Kennedy, and Barack Obama, as well as legendary actors such as Robin Williams. Unsurprisingly, the mainstay menu is oysters – don’t leave without ordering half a dozen, freshly shucked and served with the restaurant’s signature cocktail sauce. I love this place; the lobster rolls and oysters are ichiban!


Arthur Bryant's started life as an alley stand serving food for Garment District workers in Kansas City. Today, it's one of the most famous barbecue joints not only in Missouri, but the whole country. Despite being a relatively bare-bones joint – think unpretentious decor and fluorescent lighting – the barbecue restaurant has seen a serious amount of notable diners over the years, from Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford to John McCain and Barack Obama. Beef-brisket burnt ends and burnt-end sandwiches are among the top dishes. I love this place, totally unpretentious, but outstanding!
Made famous by Nora Ephron's 1989 rom-com When Harry Met Sally, New York City's Katz's Deli, an old-school Jewish joint, has more than stood the test of time since opening in 1888. Today tourists flock to the iconic yet resolutely down-to-earth restaurant to feast on bulging corned beef, pastrami, or Reuben sandwiches, matzoh ball soup, or chopped liver. You shouldn't leave without trying the New York–style cheesecake, either. I love the place, it is a must see, must do, must eat!


Cattlemen's Steakhouse has plenty of colorful stories to tell. It's the oldest operating restaurant in Oklahoma City, having opened in 1910 when ranchers and cowboys would pour through the doors. It stayed open through Prohibition, too, luring travelers with its home-brewed concoctions. Now it remains one of the best-loved steakhouses in the region (and there's fierce competition) and has played host to the likes of actor John Wayne and President Ronald Reagan. It is just about the only decent place to eat in this city.


The clue's in the name at this Portland institution, which dates all the way back to 1892 and is both a beloved local spot and a must-visit for tourists. Dine here and you'll join the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Madonna, and Michael Jordan, who have all enjoyed the fresh seafood at Jake's Famous Crawfish. The crawfish is the specialty here, of course, but the Dungeness crab and bay shrimp cakes are also real favorites. At one time, this was THE place in Portland. Now, it is just one of many.


With its road signs almost as famous as the place itself (you can see them for miles before you're even near), Wall Drug is a wonderfully random pit stop for weary travelers. There's a historic display to remind visitors of the spot's humble beginnings back in the 1930s, a gift shop, and even an 80-foot tall brontosaurus sculpture. It's not solely a restaurant – more of a curious tourist attraction. But, when it comes to the food, the legendary hot beef sandwich and donuts come up trumps. A total waste of time, with mediocre food.


A plate of Texas barbecue is a memorable experience wherever you taste it, but The Salt Lick BBQ is something else. A self-professed 'Texas legend', the joint has been going strong since 1967, and dishes up belt-busting portions of brisket, pork ribs, turkey, and sausage. If you're dining with a group, go family-style. For a set price per person, you'll get unlimited meats, potato salad, coleslaw, and beans. Perhaps the best barbecue joint east of the Rockies?


Those are the only ones, among the fifty in this article, that I have dined at. I guess I have done my fair share. Maybe I will add to the list?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.532s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 41; qc: 156; dbt: 0.3245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb