FLORIDA AND THE KEYS - CONQUERED with a cruise thrown in


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
October 2nd 2012
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The VillaThe VillaThe Villa

At last we have arrived
FOUR UNCHAINED PENSIONERS



JANET – FRED – CHRIS – ROY





– CONQUERING FLORIDA AND THE KEYS WITH A CRUISE THROWN IN FOR GOOD TASTE





12TH FEBRUARY 2004

We are on our way to the State of Florida in USA for a month of excitement. We fly from Birmingham to Newark and then down to Orlando to pick up our Car for the holiday. After arriving at the Villa in Orlando we need a rest. We spend a day sorting out shopping and the post. We are now all geared up and ready to Rock!!



13TH FEBRUARY 2004

Our first day we spent the day driving to Cocoa Beach, the East Coast’s surfing capital, and obtaining a good panorama of the Atlantic Coastline. There was a pier that had entertainment taking place on it with many well known artists performing. There are plenty of good T shirts to be purchased in the vicinity. It was a good day and delightful weather.



14th FEBRUARY 2004

Today we are taking to the air. We
The VillaThe VillaThe Villa

Time to relax
had booked a Helicopter ride whilst visiting the villa agents a few days earlier. We travelled along the I92 to Kissimmee to catch our flight and were getting excited. The pilot flew us on a tour around Orlando and the theme parks to view them from the air and it was fantastic but scary.



15th FEBRUARY 2004

We were driving to the East coast again to visit the Fantasy Ship, docked at Port Canaveral. The drive was excellent and we had a clear sight of Cape Canaveral in the distance. We wished we had time to go and see it. With a Day Pass to go on the Ship we spent an agreeable day enjoying the facilities. We entered the changing rooms of the performing artists and spent an hour trying on all the wigs. Very hilarious. Enough of this frivolity, time to go home to the villa.



16TH FEBRUARY 2004

Today we are setting out for a trip down south for a few days. Firstly, we are heading for Naples and the Gulf Coast. We stopped for a look at the coastline before heading to Everglades City and an Airboat ride
The VillaThe VillaThe Villa

Cool off in the pool
on the Everglades where we saw alligators. We crossed Alligator Alley and later we drove to Homestead for the night. After some difficulty in finding accommodation, we had a Cuban sandwich in a Cuban Restaurant. Well! It was huge.



17TH FEBRUARY 2004

Now to conquer The Keys, a chain of fossilised coral islands protected by North America’s only coral reef. We are again driving south heading for Key West and the tip of America. We got to the Information Centre in Key Largo, the largest island in the Upper Keys, and decided to enquire about motels or hotels in Key West only to find out that there were not to be had. The lady was very pleasant and said we might be able to find something when we get there, but only might. We did not want to risk it so we found some accommodation in Key Largo at the Amoray Dive Centre. Because we could not get a place to stop in Key West, we decided we would stop for two nights in the Dive Centre and drive down to Key West for the day. The Dive Centre was brilliant. We had hammocks on the
Cocoa BeachCocoa BeachCocoa Beach

A lovely day trip - the Pier is fascinating.
beach side and there was a nearby Pub with good food and also a Pizza Hut. The next morning’s breakfast was on the beach but it was chilly.



18TH FEBRUARY 2004

We are spending the day driving south to the southernmost tip of the American World – Key West. The long drive was beautiful and we crossed the seven mile bridge. We traversed all the keys and enjoyed every minute of it. The end of the US Highway 1 road was awesome. Flagler Station in Key West is a very good museum of the first settlers and railroad builders. There was plenty to do and we did not have much time. One of the places to see is Mallory Park. The marina was full of small brightly coloured boats. There is a marker for the most southerly point, with Cuba being 90 miles away. After having a drink on the Pier at the end of “The Road” and watched the sunset over the Caribbean. Wonderful! The drive back was tiring, so the Pizza Hut was welcoming as was our beds. Key West is somewhere we would have to come back to.



19TH FEBRUARY
Orlando Helicopter RideOrlando Helicopter RideOrlando Helicopter Ride

A smashing ride over the Theme Parks and Orlando
2004

The drive home. What can one say about the 374 miles drive via Lake Okeechobee? It was long. We thought we were going to get a good view of the lake but found that there was a 60ft high dam wall on the side of the road concealing the view. We stopped for lunch at Clewiston just off Lake Okeechobee and just drove. The villa in Orlando was a welcoming sight.



20TH FEBRUARY 2004

A day of rest and shopping in Orlando. We drove down to Kissimmee and had a game of Pirate Golf. With some cheating going on, we eventually finished and who knows who won. Shopping in America is something else. The shops are so big. We obtained a pantry full of food and sat down for an evening of peace.



21ST FEBRUARY 2004

Another day of shopping and lazing by the pool in the villa before setting off for an evening in Kissimmee and the Classic Cars show. They have a brilliant meeting of Classic Car owners that drive the side streets in Kissimmee but it only takes place on a Saturday Night. After the Classic Car
Fantasy ShipFantasy ShipFantasy Ship

Trying on the Show props.
show we popped into Bennigan’s for a Steak or Fish and Chips.



22ND FEBRUARY 2004

One of our Theme Park trips. Sea World and Discovery Cove. In scale and sophistication, Sea World is one of the world’s most impressive marine-life adventure parks. Sea World’s answer to the Disney mouse is Shamu the killer whale, and the Shamu Adventure show tops the bill. While we where there Shamu had just had a baby and the show was cancelled but we saw killer whales swimming. There were other shows to watch with sea lions and otters. A brilliant day out.



23RD FEBRUARY 2004

Today was the turn of Magic Kingdom. It is a big kids dream. It is full of Disney Characters and seven lands evoke different themes. Space Mountain is a one of the areas that is mostly set in the future and contains space flights. Fantasyland is dominated by Cinderella’s Castle. Adventureland has the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean. There is a Main Street USA Area with many colourful parades. Frontierland is also worth a visit. It is a long day but exciting for BIG KIDS.



24TH
On board Fantasy ShipOn board Fantasy ShipOn board Fantasy Ship

Enjoying a meal and coffee
FEBRUARY 2004

Animal Kingdom is our favourite. This park has both real and mythical beasts, spread over seven different “lands”. Discovery Island and “It’s a Bugs life” was cool. Africa offers the fabulous Kilimanjaro Safaris, where you see hippos, rhinos, lions and elephants roaming freely. Asia features gibbons, birds and tigers in a re-creation of Indian ruins. Tapirs and Komodo dragons are found on the Maharaja Jungle Trek, the climax of which are the magnificent Bengal tigers the roamed the ruins. Dinoland has a wild dinosaur ride that I hasten to say we did not do.



25TH FEBRUARY 2004

Another trip to Magic Kingdom for a ride on Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. We also went into the Haunted House and had a ride on the Tower of Terror. We must be certifiably mental. We had another good, exciting day. The Theme parks seem to be well organised. Can’t wait for tomorrow and a rest on a pensioners’ bench.



26TH FEBRUARY 2004

A quite day, thank goodness. A dip in the pool and bar-b-que on the patio. In the evening we went to see the Classic Cars again in Kissimmee and
Naples PierNaples PierNaples Pier

A drive south
for a steak in Bennigan’s.



27TH FEBRUARY 2004

Another Disney Park, Epcot. “Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow”. It was freezing. The stalls holders were doing a roaring trade in Mexican Ponchos’. Epcot is divided into two halves; Future World with an emphasis on entertainment and education and World Showcase, which represents the art, culture and culinary skills of different countries around the globe. A large globe is the centre piece of the Park. The World Showcase is divided into areas from around the world and is brilliant to see. From Epcot we travelled to Magic Kingdom the see the evening entertainment which is not to be missed. The Illuminated Lake show at the end it brilliant.



28TH FEBRUARY 2004

A day of rest – we have to pack for our Cruise the next day. We do the usual washing and ironing and sort out our cases. We swim in the pool and do the obligatory shopping, although it was still classed as a rest day.



29TH FEBRUARY 2004

The long drive south. We have to be on the
EvergladesEvergladesEverglades

On board an airboat
quay side in Fort Lauderdale by noon. After stopping on the Turnpike for a “cuppa” and a pair of sunglasses we again head south and arrive in plenty of time to book ourselves on board the Grand Princess for a week of opulence in the Caribbean. “Where’s the food buddy?” The first words out of the mouths of the rather large Americans boarding the ship. We cast off from Port Everglades, the world’s second largest cruise port after Miami, on a North Easterly course bound for Providence Channel and a week of adventure.



1ST MARCH 2004

By the time we have risen and headed for breakfast, we have docked at Princess Cays. This is the privately owned harbour of the Princess Cruise Line. After landing using the ship’s tenders, we spend the day ashore on the splendid beach and Picnic Area. We climbed aboard the ship in the late afternoon and get ourselves ready for the evening meal, entertainment and a tipple in the bar. One of many to come.



2ND MARCH 2004

Today, we have a day at sea, passing abeam of Maisi Point, east end of Cuba and entering Windward
EvergladesEvergladesEverglades

An alligator
Passage. We cruise the south of Cuba, 12 miles south of Guantanamo Bay and abeam Cape Crux. The day is spent exploring the Ship and a dip on of the many hot tubs. The evening is “Captain’s night” and we are wearing our very formal outfits to enjoy a beautiful meal and social evening with the four American Passengers on our Table.



3RD MARCH 2004

We land in Georgetown, Grand Cayman and, after breakfast, are ferried to the mainland on ship’s tenders. We enjoyed a trip around the Island, visiting a Turtle Farm and ending up in a place called “Hell”. It was a mass of rock formations that surely looked like hell, or what we think hell should look like. A drive back to the ship and a rest before another night of entertainment in the theatre and casino after a well presented evening meal.



4TH MARCH 2004

Mexico here we come. The ship docks in Costa Maya and spent a day walking along the beach road and enjoying a snack and drink in a beach shack. It was so peaceful and beautiful. The evening was spent in the Mexican restaurant
Key LargoKey LargoKey Largo

Dive Amoray
with a large bottle of Wine. We were celebrating someone’s special birthday. Any excuse to down a bottle.



5TH MEACH 2004

Another Mexican landing, Cozumel meaning, “Land of the Swallows”. Mayan women would journey here to worship Ix-Chel, the Goddess of Fertility. After a short walk along the quayside in the brilliant sunshine we head for the shops and a look around. A lot of Mexican artefacts and T shirts later, we board the ship for another hectic evening of entertainment in the theatre and Casio.



6TH MARCH 2004

A day at sea for a rest and prepare ourselves for the Cocktail evening. We sunbathe and had a dip in the hot tub. We also perused the Art that was for sale on board. The paintings were beautiful and very reasonably priced. All we needed to do was win the lottery. After a shower and change into our cocktail dresses and dinner suits we were out “On the Town” for Cocktail Night. We had fun with a Horse Racing competition and Champagne Fountain. The staff also joined in with a Dance and Party. Tomorrow we disembark.



7TH MARCH 2004
The KeysThe KeysThe Keys

The 100 mile drive


Port Everglades and disembarkation. We were sad to leave the Ship. It had been a real experience we shall never forget. Now for the long drive north to the Villa in Orlando. We drove straight up the Turnpike and I92, 221 miles to our destination. An evening by the pool with a bottle or two was very welcome.



8TH MARCH 2004

Today we are having a day of rest by the pool and sorting packing for home. When you are pensioners you have to plan the day of rest between the experiences. It will come to us all.



9TH MARCH 2004

A day of last minute shopping and an evening in Downtown Disney. We had a meal in the Rainforest Restaurant and a walk to Pleasure Island before heading back to the villa and a tipple before bed. It was going to be a long day tomorrow.



10TH MARCH 2004

Time to go home. We have to drive up to Orlando Airport and drop of the car before flying to New York and onto Birmingham.



A month spent in or on different locations, different
The KeysThe KeysThe Keys

Driving the keys
beds, different forms of transport and different countries. The world is becoming smaller.



We do not have holidays, only experiences.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Key WestKey West
Key West

Putside Flagler Station
Key WestKey West
Key West

Sunset - as far as we go
OrlandoOrlando
Orlando

Pirate Golf
OrlandoOrlando
Orlando

Classic Car night at Kissemee
SeaworldSeaworld
Seaworld

Shamu's home
SeaworldSeaworld
Seaworld

Show time
Magic KingdomMagic Kingdom
Magic Kingdom

on the High Street


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb