Wild Departure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
December 17th 2007
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From the weekend of December 15, 2007 --- The waves are wild; the weather is wild; huge wild buzzards are buzzing; and the destination is wild - Sunday at Stan's "Buzzard's Bay South" on Goodland Island a few miles from Marco Island, Florida. Ironically we will be crossing Buzzard's Bay "North" on our way to Cape Cod before the year ends. Sunday is the day that the popular band, Hot Dam, plays at Stan's. It's the day that the bikers come in droves. On a weekday we had looked at Stan's parking lot full of dozens of empty folding tables and scores of folding chairs arranged like a graduation party and wondered why. On Sunday we knew. While the "season" is yet to be; and the day was overcast with a windy chill; Stan's outdoor stage and make-shift "overflow dining room" was booming. The band - Hot Dam - plays country - love songs like "Lucielle" along with original tunes about separating the Yankee from his Dollar (could that mean us?). We observed a traditional dance honoring the dominant bird. The Buzzard-Lope is a wing flapping dance - performed by past, current, and hopeful Buzzard Kweens - and ending with them all on the floor with their legs in the air. Colorful Kween Mary was the dance leader; and grizzled Stan took to the stage with funny old fashioned off-color (concepts only - no X-rated words) jokes! We sipped our Coronas and noshed on seafood and took it all in - the odd costumes, the passionate patriotism, the shiny Harley's, the corny jokes, and the parade of "real" people celebrating the last day of their weekend. I bought a sundress at the adjacent Beach Woman boutique. We took a ride around the island and found the Calusa Yatch Club and discussed living on a boat for a year or so! Like I said, "wild!"

The wildness continued at the much more buttoned up Hilton where the Sand Casltes Restaurant and Lounge hosts one of Marco's most famous happy hours. We headed for the beach before ordering drinks and shrimp wrapped in shoestring potatoes to share. Wild, wild, wild and windy - we have never seen the Gulf of Mexico boiling so furiously. Can hardly imagine what a real storm is like here.

We spent Monday on Tiger Tail Beach on Marco. Even though; the weather had turned cold and The Schooner's furnace had fired up during the night our mood called for one last beach day. We returned the rental car and Wes grilled Gulf Shrimp from the Farmer's Market for supper. On Tuesday it was time to fly home to snow and freezing weather and CHRISTMAS and New Years warmed by gatherings with friends and family in Ballston Lake, Charlton, Saratoga, Ira (Rutland) Vermont, and Menhanuant (East Falmouth), Mass. The Schooner is parked in the Fort Myers Airport Long Term lot; waiting for our return for more warm fun in February. The South West flight gave us a long stop for dinner at Orlando - we were surprised that we had to exit the secure area to eat in other than a food court; but once out the selections were the best in chain restaurants - we picked Macaroni Grill and liked it a lot. The flight to Albany was fine except for the nervous young woman next to me who clicked three round beads in her hand for the entire flight - Wild!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



7th January 2008

Keep 'em Coming
Love those Blogs, Joanne and Wes. Sooo good to spend the evening with you and the Vans in the firgid north. Have fun and keep me posted. You have such a way with the words! Warmest 2008 Wishes, Jayne

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb