Tampa and the NEW Art Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
February 26th 2010
Published: February 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tampa to Ocala is less than a two hour drive. Sunny; but cool for Florida.

We met Mitzi and Jack at the Tampa Yacht Club for lunch. They belong to the Clearwater YC and have reciprocity. The club is "clubby!" Lovely buildings and grounds that include docks, tennis, Olympic pool, equestrian ring, lovely dining rooms, and more! Our lunch was great; the service was impeccable. We strolled around outside before heading for the new Tampa Museum of Art.

At the museum, we showed our Ringling Museum cards and our $10 each admission was comped. Love the benefits of that museum membership. The new Tampa Museum of Art building, by San Fran architect Stanley Saitowiz, is stunning. A staircase that virtually floats; second floor exhibit space huge enough for a fleet of executive jets; yet made cozy by movable walls separating the various entities with an inviting open traffic flow. A Calder mobile, on loan from a Connecticut couple, soars at the entrance. Interior walls seem to be made of sheet metal dotted with round holes! The effect is cool; except in front of the Calder Mobile; which deserves to be surrounded by tall white walls.

The exhibit itself
The Calder Mobile, New Tampa Museum of ArtThe Calder Mobile, New Tampa Museum of ArtThe Calder Mobile, New Tampa Museum of Art

The photo is from the Tampa Museum web site.
wasn't exactly dazzling; especially in the context of the opening of such a wonderful building. The Matisse Print Show, much of which comes from the Baltimore Art Museum, showcases the artists' simplicity. Wish I could do this sort of work using a scant 4 or 5 brush strokes! Also on exhibit are a show of the Museum's own Greek and Roman antiquities, a gallery of b&w photography "Women are Beautiful," four or five huge modern paintings, and, to stretch the mind, a quirky show with installations and photography loosely on the "home or homeless" theme! I really wish photos were allowed. You all would probably struggle as much as we did with Do Ho Suh's "Bathroom" installation and another artists' large packing boxes secured with "silver" tape and hung high against the walls and ceiling! Frankly, we just didn't get it!

The Tampa Museum web site was heavy on the Matisse info; but very light on telling us about the rest of the exhibits. For example, I wish I had known enough to Google "Do Ho Suh before seeing his work. His fascinating background info would have helped before we saw the totally complete, full sized, fabric bathroom!

Mitzie and I give Wes and Jack a lot of credit for their good humor through this! We have amazing men; who know well the story of the Emperor and his new clothes! I wish the Tampa had opened with something more accessible and dazzling - like a Monet show! Stay tuned, though, as the space is grand! Perhaps that was the point - show off the building with very diverse and eclectic pieces of work that don't inter-relate just to show how the building works!

We always stay at a La Quinta when flying out of Tampa; always have dinner at the Rusty Pelican on Point of Rocks! This time was no exception. We love this restaurant. It's casually elegant with a great view of the bay. Live piano, wonderful food, warm and friendly wait staff, perfect! While we were eating we watched a roseate spoonbill feed by waving his spoonbill back and forth along the shore. We also saw a huge great blue heron, and another large wading bird with magnificent crested plumage.

Storms all over the northeast; but we have a direct flight to Albany and are good to go. Had breakfast before the security
Art Museum Stairway From the Other SideArt Museum Stairway From the Other SideArt Museum Stairway From the Other Side

The "flying stairway" is positioned on a bed of smooth, black river rocks! Very effective.
check in the airport - just for the luxury of not having to use plastic silverware. Tampa is a great airport with some interesting shops and foodie spots. I picked up four scarves at Bijou Turner (great accessories - everything $10)!

Also, if you are in the Tampa airport before the end of June, don’t miss the Dali Jewelry exhibit in the “airport art alley” on the 2nd level - same level as the Marriot and the shops and restaurants before security. These Dali pieces are fascinating! Amazing airport art show!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Tampa Museum of ArtThe Tampa Museum of Art
The Tampa Museum of Art

Amazing building! Said to be gorgeous at night!
Curious Black AngusCurious Black Angus
Curious Black Angus

We "dry camped" between a hay barn and a little corral with two beef cattle as residents. I think this big guy is curious about the big tin box with wheels! Shot the photo from the rig on a rainy afternoon in Ocala.


Tot: 0.57s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 118; dbt: 0.277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb