Fishing With Fish Face #%$$#%&


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pine Island
February 25th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Joanne SheepsheadJoanne SheepsheadJoanne Sheepshead

Features of the fishing shirt - UV protection, etc. weren't really necessary in the thick fog.
We met Captain Terry - Fish Face Charters - at a Pine Island community event last year. We nabbed our fishing friends Bonnie and Jack, booked a charter and had a great day!

We did an encore this year for even more fun and more fish albeit in sea fog "thick as a haddock."

The fee, $400 for a half day (1pm - 5), was worth it to the four of us. Captain Terry proved once again to be amusing and to know where the fish hide. We met him at Pine Land Marina and headed west; first to Cayo Costa - where we had spent a recent beach day. That was a quick stop as the tide wasn’t to Captain Terry’s liking. He fished around and finally found us a great spot off North Captiva. The Captain swears like a sailor. The delivery of his steady stream of non-sectarian curses had us rolling our eyes and eventually joining in on the hilarity.

We were after “#%$$#%&!” sheepshead, a tasty swimmer with broad zebra stripes - like a pudgy UPC code. Sheepshead are strong and wily fighters. Our take was limited to 15 each which we would have
Captain Terry FisherCaptain Terry FisherCaptain Terry Fisher

"These @#$&%^^* sheepshead are a b---- to clean!" said the Captain.
scored on if the catch measured up to 12 inches. As it was there were 5 fish in the live well when we pulled back to the marina. Captain Terry cleaned and filleted the catch with lots of “#%$$#%&!” mutterings.

The day started out with the sort of weather that reminded us to bring sunscreen, hats, and to wear shirts with UV UPF sun protection but by the time we headed back to Pine Island the “#%$$#%&” fog had rolled in. With very limited visibility, Captain Terry got us through the channels safely. These waters are fraught with “#%$$#%&” sandbars. It was a “#%$$#%&” FAB day!

Post Script to the fishing trip! We've often spotted dolphin gliding gracefully along. On this trip we were treated to a dolphin feeding frenzy. The dolphin was close to shore and suddenly the water virtually boiled as the aggressive beast took after his lunch. It happened twice. Couldn’t get a good shot; but it lives in memory.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Jack, Bonnie, & WesJack, Bonnie, & Wes
Jack, Bonnie, & Wes

This was our second year to fish together with Captain Terry!
Fish House at Entrance to North Captiva Safe HarborFish House at Entrance to North Captiva Safe Harbor
Fish House at Entrance to North Captiva Safe Harbor

These prized vacation homes are becoming more and more rare. Note the fresh water source. 360 degree water view with matching deck and tin roof.
Jug Creek Fish HouseJug Creek Fish House
Jug Creek Fish House

Fresh fish sold here!
Marine Work Marine Work
Marine Work

Our Captain challenged this work barge for a spot near a wharf. Glad he backed down.
Barnacles North Captiva Barnacles North Captiva
Barnacles North Captiva

No people at this popular beach bar and grill because of the sea fog!


4th March 2015

Fishing the seas
Glad to see you having great fun.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb