Pine Island: Atypically Floida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pine Island
February 10th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

KOA Lake ViewKOA Lake ViewKOA Lake View

Campsite Sweet Campsite
Welcome to Matlacha and Pine Island. We love this place although friends sampling this southwestern Florida destination admit they don’t get it. A “drive by” just doesn’t suffice. It’s all together possible that the locals nurture the very low key “best kept secret” aspect to discourage gridlock on the lift bridge (the only way onto and off the island.

Matlacha and Pine Island are constants contradiction of the Florida stereotype. Someone keeps snapping up untamed, indigenous landscaping for perpetual land conservancy. Utility poles sporting subtle evidence of an aging art project confirm wild creativity. Bright pastel cottage galleries and boutiques pack a wallop of “over the top artiness.” Some shops lure visitors into water edged backyard gardens to sun themselves. The art is signed and genuine. The owner is in the shop. Often she’s an artist.

Move around on the island. No traffic lights? Only one gas station? The bike path is wide and straight and flat as a tortilla. Forget about the mountain bike. There’s not a “high rise” in sight; but there is a boat in every yard. Mulching is largely not practiced. Everyone understands the protocols of a four-way stop.

There are no big boxes.
The Home of the Doll Lady of MatlachaThe Home of the Doll Lady of MatlachaThe Home of the Doll Lady of Matlacha

What can we say? Unique? Fun? Creative? Kookie? All of the above? Love it!
An old fashioned DQ with its $5 lunch is the only chain restaurant. The tab for a “just off the boat” seafood dinner with a water side view suits the frugal gourmet. As you traverse the island, don’t veer off the main road lest you glimpse the reflections of “Old Florida” bungalows lapping up a canal scene.

Head north to Bokeelia and the breeze from Charlotte Harbor will muss your hair. Head south to St. James City and you’ll run out of land. Park anywhere and a wood stork might plop on your hood. While the wildly spread rumor “no beach on P.I.” is in question; the closely guarded secret is just that.

Fishermen in white wellies, musicians in bare feet, and artists sporting “cut off” Oshkosh By Gosh overalls stiffened with Pollock-like splatters set the clothing style. Braids, dreds, blue hair, mullet pony tails, bushy Afros, Mohawk’s (especially on little boys), tattoos and piercings define the island’s diversity. There are constant fundraisers. A motley demographic of local organizations (including a brazen band of real life “Hookers”), tree growers, entrepreneurs, authors, artists, musicians, and regional celebrities “play it forward” on a regular basis opening their hearts with donated
Downtown MatlachaDowntown MatlachaDowntown Matlacha

Got Colorful?
products, services and extensions of talent.



You’ll run into most of the folks at church, in one of the thrift shops, at a weekend festival, fishing on the bridge, jamming on a wharf, sketching in a park, or sitting at a bar. Chances are they’ll give you a smile and a welcoming “Hi”! It’s the Pine Island way and it’s very contagious!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bringing in the MulletBringing in the Mullet
Bringing in the Mullet

The Jug Creek Marina near Bokeelia is a busy place. Ship's store, gas dock, fresh fish market, departure point on the Tropic Star for Cayo Costa and Cabbage Key and roost for an osprey family.
55 Cent Peel n Eat Shrimp55 Cent Peel n Eat Shrimp
55 Cent Peel n Eat Shrimp

These big babies are the Tuesday special at the Waterfront on the Monroe Canal in St. James City. We order Beach Bread with blu cheese and we're good to go. The same restaurant has huge oysters for $8/dozen every Saturday. There's live music on the deck most afternoons.
Ingaborg's WorkshopIngaborg's Workshop
Ingaborg's Workshop

Ingaborg's pottery is FAB!
The Famed White WelliesThe Famed White Wellies
The Famed White Wellies

AKA Pine Island Rebocks!
Campers Heading to Cayo Costa State ParkCampers Heading to Cayo Costa State Park
Campers Heading to Cayo Costa State Park

This reminds us of our Lake George boat camping days.


26th February 2015
The Famed White Wellies

Beach life
Perfect. Love this one.
26th February 2015

What a beautiful place!! We certainly enjoy all of your travels..
26th February 2015

What a beautiful place!! We certainly enjoy all of your travels..

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb