Universal Studios


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
April 10th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were fortunate enough to meet a nice family our first day in Disney who had some tips for the best Universal experience: get express passes by staying at a Universal hotel. I looked into it on Monday and decided after all the lines we had experienced the last week—parking, tickets, rides, food & bathrooms—that at any price, it would be worth it. Glenn & I checked into the hotel Wednesday night along with three imaginary guests (so that Dad, Mom & Makena could get express passes too). Thursday morning we were off to squeeze two parks into one day.

The first ride, the Hulk, went 0-40 (60k) in 2 seconds. The wait time was 60 minutes, but not for us…only 10minutes. Take that! We covered about 20 rides in one day, in less than 9 hours. That hotel reservation was worth every penny!

Right about noon we decided to go on Popeye’s raft ride. Showing our express passes to a guide, I asked “do you get wet on this ride?” The lady answered with a simple and precise “soaked.” Too bad for me, Dad, Makena and Glenn were already on the raft loading valuables into a dry bin. Experienced riders that were with us recommended also putting socks and shoes away—I didn’t hesitate for a second. I also demanded that Glenn give me his poncho again. Boy, I did not know what we had gotten ourselves into!! Disney’s Splash Mountain’s motto “dry is not an option” is better suited for this raft. Down one slope and some water sloshes into the raft…all good. We go down another slope and it slops in on another side. Then under a waterfall…no slopping there. That was a down pour of wetness directly above mom & me! And then another waterfall. And then a bigger dip that soaks half of the raft…yup our side. Then someone above has a sniper squirt gun to eliminate any visible dry spots. The poncho was very helpful in that my shirt was dry, some of my hair was still dry, but my pants, felt like I was wearing a full diaper. The various stands selling dry clothes and towels at the exit of the ride were very very tempting!

At this point, absolutely soaked, Glenn, Dad & I decided to get the rest of the wet rides out of the way. We went on Universal’s version of Splash Mountain. The whole ride built up to one and only one fall—the steepest water ride ever created. Glenn told me to put my hands up to enjoy the ride…I tried, but half a second into the fall and I was back to my “can’t breathe, grab the ‘o-crap’ bar for dear life” mode. The ride was over—I survived, and I didn’t get that wet, actually. I was mostly dry (well, the parts of me that were dry before were still dry). And then…one, two, three, four squirts directly at my face & back and I was soaked! Later, after lunch, we passed the source of the squirts: coin operated machines hooked up to giant squirt guns along the edge of the ride. Safe to say Glenn & I spent a dollar each in payback to other unsuspecting riders!

Glenn & I cried a tear or two when we saw that the Simpson’s ride was not yet open. But overall, with newer rides, shorter lines, and more alcohol, Universal Studios was more our speed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb