River Boat Tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange City
February 24th 2018
Published: March 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

blog 02-24-18 River Tour

Dee and I had reservations for the morning boat tour so we had to be down at the river by 9:30. It was a beautiful day with temps in the mid 70s, sunny, with a slight breeze. We boarded the boat and were off on the river by 10:05 with a full compliment of passengers.

We headed up river then turned right into the oxbow where we had been the day before in the canoe. In the morning there are a lot more birds because the boat traffic hasn't disturbed them.

Again we saw lots of variety s of birds with an occasional alligator and turtle. The plants lining the shore are a floating mass of vegetation, a favorite of the manatee, also providing cover and a food source for smaller water birds. There are also nests in this floating mass that offer the birds protection from some of their predators.

Again, I will let the pictures show what we saw.

Coming off the boat there was a large bush just covered with flowers and the butterflies couldn't resist. There were 7 or 8 butterflies and I was able to catch an imagine of one on a lower branch. They are tiger swallowtail butterflies.

We decided to go out for lunch and found this cute place called Granny's Kitchen. Nice local place with all you can eat fish fry on Friday nights. We passed it several times and it was busy all the time. Our lunch was good but we needed desert and lucky for us, just down the road was an ice cream place, how convient.

Back at camp we played with Watson then had a little rest before having happy hour at the river again. There was a black vulture that took a bath in the river, several birds flying by, but a truly gorgeous sunset stole the show. Pictures.

Back at camp we settled in for the night to watch the Olympics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb