A Week in the Ocala National Forest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Ocala
March 29th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Salt Springs, Ocala National Forest

Salt Springs Recreational Area.

[youtube=F6gcDgynCb8]
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

The Bug Smasher in line behind Dick and Cheryl's rig just before leaving for Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forest
A week in the Ocala National Forest
Located in Northern Florida, The Ocala National Forest is a land of many uses. A week RV camping with friends Dick and Cheryl would allow us a thankful opportunity to experience many of the exciting activities that are available in the Ocala National Forest. From previous visits, Dick and Cheryl knew about Salt Springs Recreation Area. A fee area that gives daytime access to Salt Springs, it is also a Forest Service campground offering a variety of amenities ranging from full-hookup RV sites to primitive tent camping sites. Operated by a concessionaire, the campground is staffed by a lot of very nice people who do go out of their way to be helpful. Dick had called ahead and reserved us both full-hookup sites. The RV sites are serviced by paved access roads, have ample paved parking pads, and are surrounded by lots of well tended grass and many tall, graceful, shade providing trees. Salt Springs Recreation Area is now on our personal list of places worthy of a revisit one day.

The namesake of the Recreation Area and the adjacent settlement is Salt Springs. Seven large and two smaller openings in the cap
Campground1Campground1Campground1

The Bug Smasher parked at Salt Springs Recreational Area campground. Lots of green grass, scattered tall trees for shade.
rock overlaying the aquifer vent 52 million gallons a day of slightly salty water at a constant temperature of 72ø. The 100-foot plus pool, filled by the springs, empties into a small, nearby shallow lake, Lake Kerr. Although no boats or canoes are allowed on the spring pond, the lake has a small marina and landing. You can launch your own boat or rent a canoe, rowboat, power skiff, or even a pontoon boat. Fishermen of all skill levels ply the waters of the lake.

The crystal clear waters of Salt Springs mix with the slightly brown, decaying vegetation colored water of Lake Kerr. Salt Springs Run is a shallow meandering 4 1/2 -mile long stream that drains into Lake George, the second largest lake in Florida. Bordered by cypress trees, reeds, and oak trees draped with Spanish moss Salt Springs Run is home to bald eagles, peregrine falcons, turtles, otters and alligators. Our boat ride along the length of Salt Springs Run allowed us to see undeveloped Florida looking much as it did when the first, prehistoric peoples hunted and fished the land.
Our boat tour started at the marina. The launching ramp is concrete and the floating
Campground2Campground2Campground2

Another view of the very nice campground at Salt Springs Recreational Area.
docks make getting your boat in the water a breeze. We went across Lake Kerr to Salt Springs Run and Lake George beyond. The run traverses a uninhabited part of the forest and crosses several habitat zones, from marsh to hard wood hammock. Cypress and oak are prominent along the Run. Spanish moss hangs loosely from the branches. Cooters and other turtles sun themselves on log snags along the bank. Quite a few alligators make their home in the Run and we were able to see at least one on each traverse of the Run. The trees are home to many raptor birds including ospreys and bald eagles. Water birds, such as cormorants, anhingas and egrets are often see hunting for fish and small amphibians. Early morning and late evening are the best time to watch for deer coming to the edge of the Run to drink of the cool water.
Water levels were high and we had no trouble navigating the curves of the Salt Springs Run to Lake George. Dick told us how, in drier times, he has had to get out of the boat and wiggle it across the sand bars to enter Lake George. I had
OldOakOldOakOldOak

An ancient oak tree, its spreading limbs covered with vines and Spanish moss. A shady glen near the Salt Springs pool.
momentary visions of Humphrey Bogart pulling the African Queen through the leach infested waters, amidst the thick reeds, in the movie African Queen. I'm sure it added a bit of adventure to an otherwise uneventful passage down the Salt Springs Run.

We turned south onto Lake George and made a five mile run to the mouth of Silver Glen Springs Run, a shorter and deeper stream than Salt Springs Run. It has made Silver Glen Springs is a popular destination from all along the expansive St. Johns River. We tied up to the river's edge and had our lunch while we watched the other boaters. There were boats of all sizes. There were large pontoon house boats, cabin cruisers, runabouts, rowboats and small inflatable boats barely large enough for a single adult; just all kinds of boats. People were swimming, snorkeling, sunning and just kicking back with their feet up enjoying the sun and cool air coming across the water. I was pleasantly surprised by it all. There was laughing and calling out, all from people having fun in the water. I never heard anything vulgar or menacing. There were a lot of people. Many drove their cars; Silver
SaltSpringsPond1SaltSpringsPond1SaltSpringsPond1

A view of the pool formed by the Salt Springs - a constant supply of 72 degree water.
Glen Springs is right off Highway 19. Many came in their boats. A lot of people and all were surrounded by expensive, high-powered machinery. Behavior was good. People acted like adults and respected the rights of others. And, if there was a trespass, others dismissed the offence as merely exuberance of the moment. I was proud of my fellow man that day.

Parts of the Ocala National Forest have been set aside for Off Highway Vehicle traffic. An extensive, 125-mile system of trails has been established. Some are mixed use trails and some are set aside for motorcycle only, some for ATV and motorcycle, and some for mixed use including utility vehicles. Although some trails are set aside for hikers only, don't be surprised to find hikers or even horses on your OHV trail. To operate your OHV on the trail system, you need a permit that is available for a small fee from the local range station. The trail system is extensive. A mechanical mishap or an accident can leave you stranded a long way from a trailhead. Water, a map and a first aid kit are strongly recommended.

Some of the trails are wide and even,
SaltSpringsPond2SaltSpringsPond2SaltSpringsPond2

A view of the pool formed by the Salt Springs - from the picnik day-use area.
more like country lanes. Others are just wide enough for your OHV and the turns are sharp and the trail wends its way around and between trees. A lot of the trees have scars to show where a rider wasn't able to make the turn. It's in the Trail System rules but it is just common sense to drive responsibly and not push yourself or your vehicle past safe limits. And remember, you are sharing the trail with oncoming traffic of all kinds!
Dick and Cheryl have returned to Salt Springs Recreational area and The Ocala National Forest many times. The camping accommodations are excellent and the possible recreational activities are many. There is another draw in the local Salt Springs community that is also a positive draw. It is the Bass Champions Restaurant and Lodge. Although Dick and Cheryl usually cook most of their meals in their RV, they go to Bass Champions at least one if not twice every visit to Ocala. It is located about 2 miles down Highway 314 from the Salt Springs Recreational Area Campground. A small building off the side of the highway, you really have to watch for the colorful sign out front
SaltSpringsPondVentSaltSpringsPondVentSaltSpringsPondVent

One of the seven large vents (also called boils) where 52 million gallons of water a day gush from the earth.
to find it. Closed Sunday and Monday, it is open from 4:00PM to about 9:00PM the rest of the week. Locals and frequenters of the National Forest know about it and you will find them waiting in line, sitting back on the benches, under the front porch of the restaurant.

Their menu does feature beef and chicken dishes but their main focus is on seafood, and fried seafood at that. Dick jokes that, "When that cooking grease gets hot, you can follow your nose right to the restaurant." And so it was that we followed that smell to the Bass Champions on a Tuesday night when the daily special was all-you-can-eat fried shrimp. The4y have an almost endless selection of sides to choose from. Many are listed on the menu but even more are listed on the chalk board. You have to look at both. I did choose the fried shrimp. True to its name, it was all I could eat. Delicious hand battered fried shrimp, not too much batter, just right. I had already downed my second helping of shrimp when the ever so cheerful waitress, Michelle, came by to ask if I wanted more. Yes! I wanted
LaunchingTheBoatLaunchingTheBoatLaunchingTheBoat

Launching the boat at the Salt Springs Marina
more but I was just about too full already. So, in a lapse of better judgment, I asked for just a half order.

The orders around the tale included pork chops, catfish filets, fried scallops and grilled fish and scallops. Most everyone had French fries but you also have your choice of baked sweet or Idaho potato. You also have your choice of garlic bread or hush puppies. Everyone remarked about the ample portions. They are not stingy with the food. Everyone was satisfied with their meal. Each dish came with ample servings, was of good appearance and everything tasted very good. It was obvious why the locals make dining out at Bass Champions a regular occurrence.

Our week in Ocala National Forest was over all too soon and we had to return to the regular routine. We thanked our fellow campers, Dick and Cheryl, for inviting us to join them and for sharing their camping toys. I was a wonderful outing that featured many campfire evenings with pleasant conversation. We look forward to another outing soon and it is certain The Ocala National Forest, Salt Springs Recreation Area and Bass Champions will be high up on the
SaltSpringsRunLakeGeorgeSaltSpringsRunLakeGeorgeSaltSpringsRunLakeGeorge

The end of Salt Springs Run where it empties into Lake George - narow and shallow with shifting sand bars.
list of places to go.

For more information, visit the following web sites:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Salt_Springs_Recreation_Area_Fl (Home page for Salt Springs Recreational Area - Camping info)

http://www.saltspringsmarina.com/ (Home page for Salt Springs Marina)

http://www.saltspringsfl.com/bass-champions.htm (Home page for Bass Champions Restaurant)

http://thatfoodguy.blogspot.com/ (Food Blog for Bass Champions Restaurant)

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7403123/19366614 (To see 'gator film clip on Yahoo! Video)




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

CaptainDickCaptainDick
CaptainDick

Captain Dick navigating a narrow section of the Salt Springs Run on our way to Lake George.
PilotingTheBoatPilotingTheBoat
PilotingTheBoat

I had my turn at the wheel of the boat on our tour of Salt Springs Run and Lake George.
SaltSpringsRunTrees01SaltSpringsRunTrees01
SaltSpringsRunTrees01

Trees along the side of Salt Springs Run.
SaltSpringsRunTrees02SaltSpringsRunTrees02
SaltSpringsRunTrees02

Dense, tropical forest trees along the side of Salt Springs Run.
SaltSpringsGator01SaltSpringsGator01
SaltSpringsGator01

One of several gators that live along the Salt Springs Run.
SilverGlenSprings01SilverGlenSprings01
SilverGlenSprings01

Some of the many boats anchored just below Silver Glen Springs.
SilverGlenSprings02SilverGlenSprings02
SilverGlenSprings02

More of the boiats moored at the headwaters of Silver Glen Springs Run.
RoastChickenDinnerRoastChickenDinner
RoastChickenDinner

Roast chicken, seasoned with lemon, lime and ground white pepper, made a delicious dinner after a hard day's relaxiing in the warm Florida sun.
OnTheOHVTrailOnTheOHVTrail
OnTheOHVTrail

Navigating a section of the pipeline trail in the North OHV Trail System. There are 125 miles of trail in this system.
OHVSignpostOHVSignpost
OHVSignpost

A sign post showing the permitted vehicles on this section of mixed-use OHV trails.
BassChampionsSignBassChampionsSign
BassChampionsSign

Watch for the sign! The building IS NOT glass and chrome - easy to miss without the sign.
BassChampionsPorchBassChampionsPorch
BassChampionsPorch

The restaurant fills quickly. The shaded porch has benches.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb