Naples, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Naples
November 1st 2010
Published: November 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This is NOT a Sunset!This is NOT a Sunset!This is NOT a Sunset!

Yep, we were up before dawn to go deep sea fishing! Worth it! And, a beautiful sun rise!
This is a return visit to Silver Lakes RV Resort situated on Route 951 (Collier) between Naples & Marco Island. We love camping on concrete slabs. The heated pools and hot tubs, great landscaping, water views, a well organized lending library, a golf course, and nearby attractions & restaurants are among the amenities.

Rookery Bay Natural Estuarine Research Reserve has excellent exhibitry. We wandered the "snail trail" through the swampy terrain. The trail is new and signage is being developed. It's a tribute to many volunteers and fund raisers that people have access to and can experience these fragile and rare areas up close. We love to go where kids are out and about learning - especially about science - on field trips. The Rookery is a real gem for school groups. We'll wait until next year to take the guided kayak tour through the Rookery estuary; but in talking to some who did it, porpoises followed them the entire way, and the trail took them through mangrove "tunnels." Very cool!

We found an area of Naples on 10th Street with several consignment, antique and vintage shops. Chelsea’s at 2nd Ave. and Options, across the street had clothing, art,
Naples Farmers' Market - 3rd St.Naples Farmers' Market - 3rd St.Naples Farmers' Market - 3rd St.

Fresh shrimp, baked goods, pastas, cheeses, fruits & vegetables, crafts, soaps, and more! We were seranaded by a guitar player, bought coffee and breakfast sandwiches, and shopped.
jewelry, furniture and accessories. Across the street, Options, was closed for renovations - it's on the list for next year Other fun shopping in Naples is Third Street, and the extraordinary Village at Venetian Bay with great restaurants, boutiques, water views and a design play that plays well with walkways and restaurants on the waterway and open areas with partial roofs!

A shopping disappointment was the Mercado, hyped in a magazine as a happening life style center with residences, restaurants, and upscale retail. The place was simply not ready! Shows how important "soft openings" can be. Maybe next year.


Fishing on the Lady Brett out of Tin City. Wes was the winner here with a 23" grouper (a keeper) and a reef shark (returned to the Gulf of Mexico). This is the third time we have taken this charter. There were 12 guests, a higher number of fishermen than usual, but the crew accommodated seamlessly.


We made return visits to the Capri Fish house on the Isles of Capri. We caught the tail end of happy hour one night and caught a sunset, a long set of "island music" by Rasti Man Frank, and our
Antique District, NaplesAntique District, NaplesAntique District, Naples

We'll be back 10th at 2nd - this is fun shopping - we have also quite a collection of Goodwill Couteur!
first "early bird dinner" on another. Funky, Tiki shack look with a little beach and kayaks for rent! Erin's Irish Pub was another "find." We have passed this very modest looking pub scores of times and decided on pub fare one night. What a surprise! Wonderful full menu, cozy and attractive surroundings, and an acoustic string band (vocals, violin, guitar, & bass) playing Irish and American Mountain folk music. They even did Turaluralura! We went back again for oysters and corned beef. A versatile piano player entertained.

Our side trip to nearby Everglades City, Goodland & Marco Island was the subject of a previous travel blog.

Moving on today; next stop Sanibel Island. We've been to this little paradise a few times; but this is our first time to camp on Sanibel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Rock Shrimp NachosRock Shrimp Nachos
Rock Shrimp Nachos

At a chamber function, a fellow who had lived in Naples, Fl, suggested this yumster to us! Spot on Ian!
Relaxing on the Naples City PierRelaxing on the Naples City Pier
Relaxing on the Naples City Pier

Enjoying the auto feature on my new camera. Playing with it to take self portraits of us.
The New Dolphin Earrings!The New Dolphin Earrings!
The New Dolphin Earrings!

We shopped in the 10st. vintage/antique/ consignment shop area of Naples. Wes surprised me with these cool earrings from Chelsea's. Options, the shop a woman at the Farmers' Market directed us to, was closed for rennovations until Friday. We'll catch it next year.
Wading BirdWading Bird
Wading Bird

Still trying to identify this pointy beaked, grayish blue wader! Fun to watch.
Field Trip at The Rookery PreserveField Trip at The Rookery Preserve
Field Trip at The Rookery Preserve

Three microscopes were focused on water from the estuary. The students could study them in magnification on the screens, they were so busy learning about microscopic marine life! Great to see!
Sky Bridge to The Rookery EstuarySky Bridge to The Rookery Estuary
Sky Bridge to The Rookery Estuary

Skybridge from the second floor of the Rookery Museum to get to the Snail Trail through the estuary. Called Snail Trail as it is suggested that one explore at a snail's pace to see all of the subelties of the swamp.
On the Trail The RookeryOn the Trail The Rookery
On the Trail The Rookery

The wide trail is of a sort of pea stone on a rubber mat - very accessible - most of us would NEVER have this experience with out the work of the volunteers and staff who have made the trail possible. Hats off!
Flat Stanley Goes FishingFlat Stanley Goes Fishing
Flat Stanley Goes Fishing

Hope that third grader in Rutland is enjoy Flat Stanley's travels.
Wes and His Reef SharkWes and His Reef Shark
Wes and His Reef Shark

Big mouth; big teeth!
Self PortraitsSelf Portraits
Self Portraits

Having fun with the new camera! Never bothered with the timer devices on prior cameras, but this one is a snap!
StormStorm
Storm

This was taken at Delnor Wiggins Pass Beach. Obviously not a good day to go out fishing!
The Silver LakeThe Silver Lake
The Silver Lake

Double wides never looked so good!
The Village at Venetian BayThe Village at Venetian Bay
The Village at Venetian Bay

This upscale shopping spot on a canal is wonderful - nice restaurants, boutiques, entertainment on Thursday evenings. Can't call it a mall!


Tot: 0.651s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 117; dbt: 0.2463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb