Goody Good Goodland, Foodie Fun, Marco Island Farmer's Market, Tiger Tail Beach, and More!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Naples
December 13th 2007
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes just doing what the locals do is just the best. Wednesday is Farmer's Market Day in Marco Island and we . We got pink gulf shrimp (these biggies were caught that very day). The cooking directions - boil for five minutes with a little sugar and a squeeze of key lime - proved to be outstanding. The "captain" who was selling the shrimp also threw in a few grapefruit, key limes, and oranges. We bought guacamole (from a man from Columbia), anchovie stuffed olives (from a charming Frenchman), and marmalade made with local citrus. We passed by interesting pineapple plants, beautiful orchids, and huge pointsettia. The bake goods looked yummy and were from a German bakery established first on Cape Cod; and we learned that the bee keeper also happens to play cello in the Naples Philharmonic. Proceeds from this market are donated to charity by the host, St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

We followed up with lunch, dockside at Snooks. I tried their fried oysters and sampled Wes's generous grouper sandwich. Love that fresh seafood.

We had visited Tiger Tail Beach on a previous trip. This time the water in the Gulf of Mexico seemed way warmer than last year at the same time. A wonderful sandbar off Tiger Tail makes shelling and beach walking even more fun!

Our great find was at the end of the day on Thursday. The island of Goodland with its very protected harbor and absolutely no obvious zoning regs is the sort of "funky, old Florida" spot that we savor. Dinner at The Little Bar was just short of elegant - Tilapia Oscar for Wes; steamers and linguini for me. We took a walk before dinner - great sculpture garden at The Little Bar; a fishing fleet with a wholesale/retail seafood shop dominates the little harbor. This is a working man's (and woman's) place. There's a colorful Chickee Bar at "Stans." The Island Woman Boutique was closed for the evening; but we shall return. On the return trip, we'll be sure to spend more time at Stan's - it's said to have great bands; especially on Wednesday night and during the day on Saturday and Sunday. HAWT --- WYWH!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



25th October 2008

Marco Farmers Market - new location
The Marco Farmers Market is now being run by the city. Its now called "The City of Marco Island Farmers Market" . contact Jennifer Travis 239-389-5034 or jtravis@cityofmarcoisland.com. Its new location is at Mackle Park - 1361 andaluisa Terr, Marco Island, FL 34145. It will operate on Wednesdays, Nov. 19 - Apr. 29, 2009 from 7:30am to 2PM. more info at www.marcoislandfarmersmarket.com

Tot: 0.493s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb