Lets go cruising!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
November 11th 2013
Published: November 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a great nights sleep, up early to head off to the airport to drop the car back :-((, filled up with gas and drove the short journey to the airport, efficient straightforward process as we had grown used to here in the US. Said goodbye to Billy The Buick and sadly handed the keys over, what a great car, comfortable, spacious, fast and big!!

Grabbed a taxi and off to Port of Miami!! Arrived in the port with three massive cruise ships docked and towering above the terminal buildings, greeted by friendly personnel and welcomed into the vast terminal area, efficiently passed through customs and found some seats amongst hundreds of other early arrivers!

As more people started to enter the holding area, all our worries about cruising requiring posh frocks and suits drifted away. People of all walks of life, age, shape and size were there, young latinos dressed in the classic uniform of low slung jeans, hoodie and baseball cap, seasoned cruisers in smart shorts and tops, newbies in somewhat over the top attire and ourselves, falling somewhere in between.

Chatted to a nice couple from Boca Raton just up the coast, who I can on,y describe as cruise addicts, having just finished one two weeks ago and with another one after this already booked for the end of the month! Jerry and Gerry gave us some handy tips and we passed the time until our boarding group was called.

At last our group was called and with excitement we boarded the Norwegian Sky, we had left our suitcases to be delivered to our stateroom later and we headed off to the storage place for our hand luggage until the staterooms were ready.

Took a wander around the huge vessel, trying to take it all in, the numerous restaurants and bars, glass lifts into the atrium, deck top pool and the sheer size of it all.

With a couple of hours to wait before our rooms would be ready we had a lovely buffet lunch on the front deck in the garden restaurant and sat observing our fellow passengers. It didn't take us long to realise what the main attraction of cruising is for many people, the food, quite honestly, I have never seen people the size of some of these people! Not all of them I hasten to add, but after we got to our stateroom which wasn't small by any means, we just didn't understand how some of these people could even get through the door, let alone into the bathroom or shower!

Determined to take in all the facilities, we shot a few hoops in the basketball court on the top deck then grabbed a sun lounger to relax until the announcement was made to say our staterooms were ready.

Excitedly went off to find our room on deck six, found it after getting lost a few times, (this would be the first of many times).

A lovely room with a large window with a sea view (of course!) big queen size bed with crisp white sheets, got to meet our cabin steward Patrick.

Slipped on some shorts and flip flops and went back up to the pool deck for the sailing away party! Caribbean music by a live band, the bouncy cruise director Joel introduced himself and the entertainment team, drinks were flowing, sun was shining, the pool and hot tubs started to fill up and the four day party began.

Super excited as we started to sail away from the port, through the narrow channel passing the luxury mansions and condos of South Beach and out into the Atlantic ocean....I could barely contain myself!

As the skyline of Miami faded into the distance and the sun started to go down we showered and changed and headed back to the pool bar for a pre dinner cocktail. Pina Colada was the order of the day as we poured over the programme of events for that evening. Had a bite to eat at another buffet and went on the hunt for the stardust lounge where the welcome event was due to start.

Bouncy jovial Joel welcomed us all and the singers and dancers entertained us before onboard comedian Andrew Kennedy began his show. A really funny guy who had the crowd roaring within a couple of minutes.

Jovial Joel also introduced the Captain and higher members of the crew, all gave a little dance after their introduction, in the spirit of Norwegian cruises Freestyle approach to cruising. Even Captain Pelle gave a funny little dance and a rather droll speech welcoming military and veterans aboard to celebrate Veterans Day and gave a special mention to the Filipino crew members some of who had lost touch with friends and relatives after the terrible monsoons. You really got the feeling that the crew were one big family.

Explored the ship further, got lost again, had a couple more drinks and then back to the room excited about tomorrows destination.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb