The Sun Welcomes Us to Miami


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
March 5th 2011
Published: March 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sea Gulls Hovering OverSea Gulls Hovering OverSea Gulls Hovering Over

They came for the guava danishes!
Aminta and I landed in Miamia at 5:30am. We'd survived the red-eye flight, but neither of us got as much rest as we'd hoped. Our spirits picked up, however, when we stepped outside the airport and breathed in the warm, humid air.

Stasa picked us up. She was thrilled to see us, and the excitement was contagious, but she was also suffering from a lack of shut eye. We immediately began conversing at a million words a minute, and the talk didn't stop until we pulled into a gas station. I felt clueless when both Aminta and Stasa exited the car (what, does it take two people to pump gas?). They informed me that the gas station is where you get your Cuban coffee. Skeptical, I followed them into the small convienence store. Sure enough, the clerk had a pastry case and a coffee menu board behind him. Stasa ordered us three cafe con leches and guava-cheese danishes in rapid Spanish.

We took our coffee and paper-wrapped pastries with us to South Beach to watch the sunrise. It was nearly deserted. We found a spot on the sand, sat down, and dug cup holders for our cafe con leches. The horizon was pink with the anticipating sunrise. The wind whipped our long hair around our heads, causing tangles and forcing us to use our sticky fingers to pull it back. The sea gulls soon spotted us and flew (or, rather, hovered) above our heads. They wanted our danishes. It was incredible to be so close to the birds (we could have reached up and touched them), but I also worried that one would soon relieve itself on us. We took shelter on the empty lifeguard tower.

The sky continued to brighten, and a few more beach-combers trickled in. There were some young men who came to feed the gulls, and there were older men who began metal-detecting. Another man arrived with a board and something that looked like a parachute. Stasa explained that he was a kite-surfer and was drawn to the beach because of the windy morning. The sport looked tough. Cables connected the man to his large kite, which caught the wind and pulled him like a jet ski. Meanwhile, he rode the waves like a surfer.

The sun rose bright and yellow in the sky. A light drizzle arrived with the sun, pushing us
Waiting for the SunriseWaiting for the SunriseWaiting for the Sunrise

It's bright and a little pink, but still no sun. We made it in time!
to seek entertainment elsewhere, and created a rainbow over the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our Shelter from the GullsOur Shelter from the Gulls
Our Shelter from the Gulls

We sat up on the lifeguard tower to avoid sea gull excrement.
Stasa and IStasa and I
Stasa and I

We have our cafe con leches, we have good conversation, and we have a lot of wind.
Aminta and IAminta and I
Aminta and I

We made it to Miami! What a great way to greet the city after a long, late flight.
The Kite SurferThe Kite Surfer
The Kite Surfer

Here's his kite! I'm excited to see him go out into the water. The waves are huge from all the wind!
Ladies and Gentlemen, We have a SunriseLadies and Gentlemen, We have a Sunrise
Ladies and Gentlemen, We have a Sunrise

What a picturesque morning!
Aminta and Stasa on the BeachAminta and Stasa on the Beach
Aminta and Stasa on the Beach

It's their natural habitat.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb