# 8 Retiring Teacher preparing to teach in China (Thought on education in China)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
January 10th 2006
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

While visiting Taizhou Teachers College, Nanjing University, a High School and several English Academies, as well as speaking with numerous Chinese educators and students in various parts of China, I found the study of English in China to be paramount for each. All are trying to attain the "best" education possible, for two equally important reasons. There was the constant focus on personal success and achievement, and there was the hopeful desire, in whatever measure possible, to return something to their nation and all its fellow citizens (almost 1.4 billion).
I visited the humble homes of very educated people and had the opportunity to discuss and interact freely. It quickly became obvious, that the Chinese dedication to learning, was no exageration, on the contrary. With very limited resources, every student of every age, as well as their teachers showed an eagerness and a dedication to academic excellence, and a total focus on the teacher. Three subjects are requirements for students from grade one through college, Mathematics, Chinese, and English. Parents also make every attempt to send their "one" child to Summer-English-Academies. They desire to give their child the edge during examination time.
Great efforts are made, to encourage
train-station in Taizhoutrain-station in Taizhoutrain-station in Taizhou

New railway-station connecting the north and south of China
Native-English-Educators to apply at numerous schools throughout China. When these "Foreign Friends" arrive, they are treated with respect for their education, but also for their age. Every individual I met expressed the same hopes and aspirations all of us have: to feed a family, to educate their child, spending quality time through joy and tribulations, a fear of rising health costs, and the constant search for beneficial employment to achieve these goals, often under extreme standards.
Nothing I read, past or present, prepared me for the kindness, warmth, openess, and generosity offered me by everyone. Ever-smiling, they expressed true joy in seeing you in their country, more so when they found you to be American. Each of the young I met understood the importance of acquiring the English Language, and I saw a determination in their smiles, that each will give their best to master it.
China's achievement in the last 20 years is an on-going Western discussion, and both countries see an educated people as the key to their ultimate success. But on my return flight from China I had the distinct feeling, that here in America, our national political leadership understands that fact far less. A country is only as strong as the education of its young, and I saw a profound understanding of this fact in every person introduced to me during my China visit. The study of English, in all stages of their children's development, was of profound importance.
I often wonder what $400/$500 Billion could have accomplished, if utilized here at home, to benefit our children's education, and showing concern for our elderly, sick, and poor. Instead, our leaders favor whole-sale destruction abroad, only benefiting a "big" few rich here at home. Used responsibly and with compassion, these $400/$500 Billion "COULD-HAVE" catapolted this President into the history books as a good and decent father, and responsible steward of our wounded nation.
With China poised to take a leadership role in the world, and supporting one-fifth of the world's population in only twenty years should give us pause, to reflect on our priorities here and afar.

Advertisement



10th January 2006

It seems that you are very very prepared for what is to come ahead.... Its a knowing fact that you would be a great teacher like you have been to us.... And theres no way the Chinese kids would not love you like how your student love you here. I would definently continue to read your blogs throught your course of your Voyage..... But until then... See you in class.
16th January 2006

Greetings
Hi Hans! Thanks for the message on my blog, I'm looking forward to learning more about your adventure. I'll be updating my blog every few days too, even though I am back in London now. Best of luck! Dawei
19th January 2006

Inspiration
As someone nearing sixty and contemplating the next adventure, I'm inspired by your blog and hope you'll keep adding to it.
8th July 2008

so amazing
you have a heart of constant focus of your gool. and you deserve a greet honor; to the people ,u'r family of course to our GOD. see you my frnd.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb