Josh's-ami


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
March 9th 2012
Published: March 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Joshua's New FeetJoshua's New FeetJoshua's New Feet

Josh found these shoes on Lincoln Road in South Beach. It was love at first sight.
We had the day to kill before flying out to Guayquil in the late afternoon so after an outrageously expensive meal we ambled the streets of South Beach looking for a diversion. En route Josh, who argues that it's "Hisami", not Miami but he's willing to share, managed to convince us to get him appropriate footwear for the trip. Seems he brought his winter boots in anticipation of hiking the rocky shores of the Galapagos. Better parents might have forced him to suffer the consequences of poor packing choices but we expect the staterooms on the boat to be small and the wet boyfoot miasma to be large so we caved and got him the goofiest shoes ever made. They're called "Five Fingers" and have individual compartments for each toe. Apparently they're necessary for the sport of free running, whatever that is. Anyhow, he loves his shoes, they make him leap and although he looks ridiculous they seem functional insofar as they're fast drying. Plus they're highly reflective so the chance of losing them, and Josh if he's in them, is reassuringly low.

After shoe shopping Josh decided that it was time to realize his dream of riding a Segway. He was too young to do it in Paris a few years ago so he took some pains to arrange the opportunity here. He found the quintessential Segway guy - a tanned and enthusiastic Mike who had a sneering disregard for safety precautions and "Do not enter" signs which made the experience a lot of fun. We bombed up and down the boardwalk, helmetless and without much in the way of guidance, stopping at Versace's mansion which is apparently the most photographed site in Miami, and at the the hotel that was the site of the movie The Birdcage. It was a very fun afternoon, although Avery's absence was acute. And, for the record, Paul and Adrianne ended up with sunburns. Just saying.

In the evening we flew into Ecuador where the airport is plastered with signs in Spanish talking about cholera and child prostitution. Judging by the number of vowels, both are bad. Here in the Hilton there's a sign asking us to report crickets in our room to the front desk. Maybe there's an upcharge? We haven't seen any yet but will have ample opportunity to search for beasties tomorrow since, once again, we've been warned (in writing) that the area is dangerous and they advise we don't leave the confines of the Hilton. Apart from dutiful bug hunting and cholera not having and prostitute avoiding, our day tomorrow is completely open. Adrianne is hoping to sleep, perchance to dream of visiting South America. We miss Avery horribly.

Advertisement



9th March 2012

Good morning again ...
ooops! I think I have half-submitted a comment! I think the 'return' key automatically submits, but since everything disappears into the ether, I am cannot know for sure! So, I shall not hit it until I have said "have a great trip and try not to miss Avery too much, I am sure she will be having fun too! All the best to all of you from Mike and I.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb