USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
July 30th 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

South Beach, MiamiSouth Beach, MiamiSouth Beach, Miami

Star Spangled Banner

Miami


We spent 4 days in Miami. We stayed in South Beach, the Latin Quarter in a hotel where they shot (the original) Miami Vice. It was pretty cool lying in bed watching CSI Miami in Miami!
It was also great to be back in an English speaking country where people drive normally and you can flush your toilet paper instead of putting it in the bin next to the toilet - very refreshing after being in South America for a few months!

San Francisco


We splurged a bit on a hotel here as it was Dave's 30th birthday. We enjoyed biking across the Golden Gate bridge and riding the Cable Car Trams up & down the unbelieveably steep hills.

We hired a car in San Fran. and began our road trip up the West coast. It was so great to have our own transport again and not have to rely on buses & trains to get around.

Road Trip


The highlights of our road trip were
* The Redwood forests in northern California, the age and size of these trees make you feel like you've travelled back in time a few thousand years.
* We saw 2
Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge

San Francisco's famous landmark
bears on different occasions which was very exciting.
* Lassen Volcanic National Park. We got to this park in mid July and were amazed to find huge snow drifts of nearly 20 ft deep - a few of the roads were still closed because of the snow.
* The Columbia River Gorge. This is a famous windsurfing spot that Dave had always wanted to visit. We stayed in Hood River a cool little town - every car had windsurfers on the roof and there was a great vibe in this permanently windy place, we hired some windsurfing equipment for 2 days and tackled the huge swells that form on this river.
* Crater Lake. This is the deepest lake in the USA and formed inside a volcanic crater. The water is an amazing deep blue colour. No rivers run into or out of this lake which is quite unusual.
* Seattle. We enjoyed visiting the worlds 1st Starbucks at the Pikes Place market and taking a trip up the Space Needle.

Los Angeles


This place is crazy!! We stayed in Venice beach which is still stuck in the 60's! Old hippies playing guitars and selling all sorts of junk
San Francisco Cable CarSan Francisco Cable CarSan Francisco Cable Car

The classic cable car going down one of the unbelievably steep hills here. That's Alcatraz in the background.
on the beachfront promenade. We visited Hollywood for a day - definately not as glamorous as it's made out to be - it could definately do with a face lift. We took a stroll through Bellair, did some window shopping on Rodeo drive and enjoyed the beach at Santa Monica.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Backcountry Hiking, CaliforniaBackcountry Hiking, California
Backcountry Hiking, California

We were warned about vicious Racoons in the backcountry, but only saw bears.
Lassen Volcanic National ParkLassen Volcanic National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park

Snow in July!! They had such a huge dump of snow this season that some of the roads and trails in this park in California were still closed.
Lassen Volcanic National ParkLassen Volcanic National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park

20 Ft snow drifts made these toilets pretty chilly!
Lassen Volcanic National ParkLassen Volcanic National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park

Sulphur fumes at the base of the volcano
Lassen Volcanic National ParkLassen Volcanic National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park

Strong hiking boots with ankle support only past this point! I got some interesting looks & comments hiking to the top of the volcano in my slops!
South Oregan Sand DunesSouth Oregan Sand Dunes
South Oregan Sand Dunes

The Southern Oregan coast has miles of shifting sand dunes. Loads of 4x4's and dune buggies.
Dave carving up the GorgeDave carving up the Gorge
Dave carving up the Gorge

One of the windiest places on earth! The Columbia River Gorge in Oregan. The wind is funnelled between the mountains and this increases it's strength.
Olympic National Park, WashingtonOlympic National Park, Washington
Olympic National Park, Washington

Volcanic peaks, rain forests, blue lakes and hot springs and freezing cold rivers!
Crater Lake National Park, OreganCrater Lake National Park, Oregan
Crater Lake National Park, Oregan

Volcanic Crater that has filled with water, the water is a deep blue colour and the deepest lake in North America.
CampingCamping
Camping

We camped everynight while driving up the West Coast.
Pikes Place Market, SeattlePikes Place Market, Seattle
Pikes Place Market, Seattle

The very first Starbucks in the world! Note the original sign boards.
Redwood Forests, CaliforniaRedwood Forests, California
Redwood Forests, California

Driving through a tree!! These Redwoods are huge!
Redwood Forests, CaliforniaRedwood Forests, California
Redwood Forests, California

Tops of the trees in the clouds, these trees are about 1000 years old.
Space Needle, SeattleSpace Needle, Seattle
Space Needle, Seattle

The weather was perfect for our trip up the Space Needle.
HollywoodHollywood
Hollywood

I saw the sign! California
Hollywood, CaliforniaHollywood, California
Hollywood, California

Walk of Fame, Hollywood Blvd
Hollywood, CaliforniaHollywood, California
Hollywood, California

We saw the sun come up over Santa Monica Boulevard


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb