Miami


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
January 12th 2010
Published: January 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!
This our first entry is written from a surprisingly COLD Miami Beach! We arrived on the 8th, late at night, and it was still 21 degrees out which was lush but only the next day was it pouring down rain and the temperature had dropped several degrees.
The next day we woke up with a start at 7 AM, completely jet lagged and completely unable to go back to sleep. That was about the time that our room mate stumbled in after a long night out. We went for a walk (in the rain, which was quite unpleasant) and saw the house where Versace lived and got shot on Ocean Drive.
There aren't many touristic things to see on South Beach, the beach is the high light, and since it was raining we couldn't go there.
The following day we tried to force ourselves to stay in bed for a bit longer. We mad it until 9.20 when we got up to have breakfast. They serve American Pancakes (which are completely overrated, they aren't that good) and coffee, you can pay extra for eggs and bacon.
After breakfast we went to the beach, which was so, so nice although the weather was still bad and it was very windy. We sat down to have a mandarin and look at the ocean, and stupidly enough we threw the peels away on the beach. Suddenly I saw a crazy sea gull coming flying towards me with his mouth wide open and since there was no one else on the beach (and the starving birds thought that we were throwing food to them) we soon had a FLOCK of them practically ATTACKING us. We were quite happy to never have seen the Hitchcock movie "Birds" 😉
After we had fled from the crazy birds we went to the shopping area and walked around for a bit, just looking at things.
Saturday night a group of people from the hostel were going out to a place called Nikki's Beach which seemed really cool, it was a club in bungalow style, right on the beach. Unfortunaly this goddamn country has an age limit of 21 to get in, and so we didn't. So we went peeing in their back yard as a thanks. Then we went with some other guys to a bar called Ted's which doesn't check ID unless you buy something in the bar which we mad other people do for us.
Considering how many people offered to get us fake IDs when they heard that we were still under aged it's probably very common to do that here. But us, unwilling to get caught and sent to the Guantamano Bay, just stayed in like the good girls we are.
Today we're gonna take a last round to look for the Miami Ink studio! And no, Mom, not to get a tattoo, only to get a picture, haha.
The hostel is a real back packers place called Jazz on South Beach and it's really nice and the staff are a lot of fun. Apart from the disappointing breakfast pancakes we are very happy with our stay there.
And we've met so many cool people (and quite a few very un-cool people too, but they're just fun to laugh at) like a 65-year old lady who's been travelling all of her life and still does. She had so many amazing stories, and could share her experiences, such as that the Argentinian men are the most beautiful in the world. We decided that that's definately a question of taste!
As for Miami Beach, that we now have seen most of by walking 4 hours a day, we have totally fallen in love with it! The surfers, the blue ocean, the houses, the palm trees, the people... we'll definately come back here some day, and let's hope the weather will be better then!

Lots of love / Lina & Jonna.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



13th January 2010

Wihoo
I missed a final goodbye and good luck and all that but I'm very glad to hear you are well (althought the weather) and overall, enjoying yourselves. I already look forward to the next update - oh and by the way, american pancakes are NOT overrated. They just might not be top notch at a backpar hostel! xx Pella

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb