Miami Nice!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
August 1st 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Goodbye England!


Having arrived at Manchester Airport on Sunday afternoon and very nearly checking our bags into the wrong airline (good start!), saying goodbye to the family started off a wave of mixed emotions. After three years of planning and preparation, the once distant dream was on the verge of becoming a relaity. Only at this point, standing face to face with our parents, did it hit home that 12 months away from friends and family was not going to be easy to deal with as first anticipated. None the less, the excitement for what was coming made our departure slightly easier to deal with.

After a quick flight to Heathrow we found are way to the Travelodge via Terminal 5 (thankfully we were in charge of our bags throughout this transition so no problems there!) The next morning started early with check in for our flight to Miami opening at 6am. Pre-flight nerves began to kick in for Jayne not too long after eating a hearty breakfast (as most of you know Jayne is not the best flyer and tends to take full advantage of the complimentary sick bags on all flights). Long haul flights are new to both of us so this only added to the tension! However, having successfully managed to stomach a spicy steak and cheese pannini at 7am (probably not the wisest of food choices!) it soon became apparent that it may not in fact be the flying that causes Jayne's travel sickness, but the transition through the airport itself! This was proven whilst standing in the queue at Boots, next to Mr Motivator (yes really, it was him!) when she promptly threw her bags at Chris, clamped both hands over her mouth and bolted for the nearest toilets. Jayne is officially 'airport-sick'!

On a more serious note however, the flight to Miami went without problem. Thanks to all those who provided Jayne with their wonderful tips on how to prevent travel sickness; from the herbal remedies to the ginger nut biscuits, we now have half a pharmacy rattling around in our hand luggage! We're not exactly sure on which of these methods is working as Jayne took heed of advice and has decided to cover all bases by taking the prescribed sickness tablets, wearing pressure bands and eating copious amounts of ginger biscuits throughout the flight!


Miami Beach International Travellers

Hovel....sorry Hostel!
Having landed at MIA and queued for what seemed like an eternity to pass through security, we we're looking forward to arriving at the pre-booked hostel in South Beach, having a shower and falling into bed. On arrival at the hostel, first impressions from the outside were not too good. On entering the room it quickly became apparent that the hostel was not exactly as it was described on the website - 3 sets of squeaky bunk beds and a filthy bathroom, all crammed into a room no bigger than a shoe box. We instantly took a dislike to the place and for very good reason. We changed quickly and headed to the beach to get some time to discuss whether to stay or move on. We decided on staying the night as we were exhausted from the journey but knew that we probably wouldn't be spending too long there! The following morning we bid farewell to our 'roomies' (2 welshmen and 2 danish body builders) and headed for a 'luxury' hotel on South Beach. You may think we were 'chicken' to have taken the easy option but those two peaceful nights sleep did us the world of good and lifted our spirits.

We spent our first full day in Miami sunning ourselves on South Beach and swimming in the clear blue warm (bath-like) water of the Atlantic. There is no escape from the humidity in Miami and this bothered the both of us but the sea proved to be a welcome relief. We booked onto a city and boat tour for our second day. This was an amazing day out. On the bus we went to Downtown Miami and saw the highrise and city life, which is a huge contrast to the atmosphere on South Beach. It was all very picturesque with the surrounding waterways. We also visited the suburbs of Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Little Havanna, Little Bahamas and a number of palaces and churches. Over the years, various films have been made in Miami and we visited the areas where Tarzan (trees and pond) and Scarface (hotel) were filmed. We then moved on to the boat tour of the islands surrounding Miami where a lot of celebrities live. We saw the homes of J-Lo & Marc Anthony, Will & Jada Smith, Ed Parker (Parker Pens!), Shaquille O'Neill (7 foot basketball legend), Julio Iglesias and many more. We decided to spend our last evening in Miami eating take out pizza in the tropical gardens of our hotel whilst listening to the terrential rain hammering on the pagoda roof (if we closed our eyes it was like being back home!).

Anyhow, enough for now. Onwards to Washington D.C next. We'll be back with more stories and pictures soon.

Missing you all loads.

Chris & Jayne x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Someones HouseSomeones House
Someones House

Forgotten whose this is but it's possibly Julio Iglesias'..... or Ed Parker, or Will Smith or Shaquille O'Neill.....!


4th August 2008

hello
just read your blog about Miami - obviously used your ostel for filming Miami Vice by the sound of things. Jayne - have you thought about a Round the World cruise instead of flying? Only cost about £30k but just think....no planes and no airports. Are you sure it wasnt the sight of Mr Motivator in his exercise outfit that made you feel ill?? Take care and enjoy yourselves.....Auntie Mo xx
4th August 2008

Plane
Poor Chris doesnt half look shocked on the plane. Hes wondering why hes sitting next to my mum in a hoodie!! Great pictures and blog guys. Glad your enjoying it. xx
6th August 2008

Call yourselves backpackers.......
can't believe you checked out the first hostel!! only joking, I would of as well. Trip looks fab, I'm madly jealous. Take care of yourselves, look forward to more updates p.s. any need for the she wee yet?!
8th August 2008

Washington
You haven't been away very long but have packed in such a lot so far. You are really taking us over there with your photos and commentary. Look forward to the next installments. Take care and love to you both.
11th August 2008

Jealous!
Hello! I am sitting at work reading all this exciting stuff about your trip - sounds like your having a brilliant time. Look forward to next installment. Great pics of both of you and the sites Love Marianne xx
17th August 2008

howdy
sounds really great.you lucky pair.cant wait to hear about new york. love auntie joanxxxx
18th August 2008

Have a great time
I am enjoying your info. I feel as if i am in the rucksack. Jean
23rd August 2008

You lucky pair!!!!
Hi - I thought I'd try again........I put a message on few weeks ago and can't see it so I don't know where it has gone!!! So if you find an abandoned message somewhere you know its mine!!! Sounds like you are both having a great time!! One long holiday hey! Its actually a little sunny here today but apart from that you've only missed rain, rain and more rain!! Really enjoying your blog so keep it up and have mega fun!!!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb