Day 12: ReStore Girl Power!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Melbourne
May 31st 2018
Published: June 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we had a special treat—real breakfast!! The find folks of Unity Church of Melbourne cooked us bacon, eggs, & coffee—could I be dreaming?! It was mad delish! We then shuttled off to the Melbourne H4H ReStore where we got a tour, heard about the affiliate from Diane, & took some photos.

We then got to work on moving stuff from their receiving floor to the display floor—bed frames, windows, doors, couches, fancy dining room sets, fridges, you name it! The girls and I were focused on being strong women and doing it without any of the guys help—and boy we’re we determined! We got ‘er done and enjoyed the ego boost (or not?) to our pride. We ate vegetable soup, pulled pork, watermelon, & brown rice. A high school soon-to-be senior stopped by and told us about his starting his high school’s chapter for Habitat for Humabity and their efforts to raise enough support to fund a house. They need $60k and have already raised $15k. Lucky for them, Bike & Build dispurses the fundraised money in four different ways—one of which to young adults involved in their communities and affordable housing efforts...

After a power hour of moving the doors and windows, we grabbed some ice cream (unless you’re Noah who ordered guac) from a local ice cream shop—I went for the warm chocolate chip cookie sandwich with butterscotch bomb ice cream! ?We then headed back to the host where many people took naps and I swung in my hammock while attempting to, to not much avail, put my GoPro footage on my flash drive. A few of us then ran a few errands—CVS for some essentials, including surprises for Magpie & deodorant for NJ (like I said—essentials), and the local bike shop for my many biking needs. After charging over $9 a tube and dropping over $100, we left with hopes of me being more successful with my bike. (If you need any ideas on how to support my trip, my gofundme still works & gift cards are always welcome ?)

Back at the host for chili dinner and bar tape rapping, my group sat with a young boy Alex who is about to enter high school. After some probing, we discovered he likes to dance and thus ensued a dance party. He showed off his moves, as did Noah and many others, as I wrapped my bar tape and also danced. After he and his family left, some of us continued to work on our bikes—I’m so glad I have a functioning computer again—and that it matches my bike! ?

I then continued to try to put my GoPro footage on my flash drive—successful though I still can’t delete the footage -_- I updated the blog and again wa some of the last ones to bed. I don’t mind though! ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb