The Tour Continues....Happy Easter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Kissimmee
April 9th 2020
Published: April 12th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Now that we have checked out all the areas of Tropical Palms together, it time to leave the premises to see what lies beyond. Hold on....don’t get your knickers all in a twist. This excursion was done while we could still go out in the fresh air as long as we stayed six feet away from everyone else. Fortunately, even though we are all packed tightly together in this virtual Blog World, we aren’t breathing on or touching one another ....pant, pant, touch, touch. Whoops...sorry. Ah-choooo.

First, Cory, Lulu and I made this journey with all of you for the sake of this blog. The next day, Sam & Sandy poked their heads out of their secure burrow so we snatched them up and drove off with them for a second time around. Remember: the more the merrier. We just can’t breathe on each other even though we, fortunately, have remained healthy and symptom free of this dastardly coronavirus.

Okey Dokey .....and we’re off.

Our trusty golf cart takes us through the exit of Tropical Palms. We are now on the short road called Holiday Trail. We pass by a huge resort called Regal Oakes. It is a condominium community for guests and residents. Their units are very, very nice. The pool is gigantic and absolutely wonderful.

You can see some of the peaks of the Tropical Palms sandcastles behind the white fence. The large, yellow, vacation condominium building looms in the distance on the left. We are coming up to Old Town now.

We have talked about Old Town before. You can Google it.....Google is our friend. It is an area of quaint shops (touristy), attractions and restaurants. It has a small amusement park at one end that I think now belongs to the bigger BIG amusement park: Fun Spot...adjacent to Old Town. On the weekends, Old Town hosts various old, classic car shows. It brings throngs of visitors. Live music bands perform on a centrally located stage. The place is alive....?? with the sound of music??...haha. Dancing and drinks create a festive party time.

Cory is driving down the narrow, brick roadway reserved only for the gorgeous antique cars which parade themselves in all their glory during the car show nights. He said he always dreamed of driving a vehicle on this road along with all the other proud classic car drivers. Well, here he is....in all his glory.....driving his golf cart on this designated car show roadway. Dreams do come true, Bucky!

As you look around on our trip, you see we are all alone. No one to clap as Cory drives his open-air cart along the sacred brick road. Lulu keeps us company, though. With the restrictions, everything is closed up except for a couple of the restaurants. They are hoping for take out orders. It’s spooky.....so quiet. It makes me think about Chernobyl and what that was/is like. It is so different than just several weeks ago when the street was crowded with the hustle bustle of folks laughing and enjoying themselves. Were you a part of them? I hope so. Jeepers. What has happened? I know it will get better....”This, too, Shall Pass”....we just hope we can see the end of this tunnel soon.

Our frequent dining-out ritual has come to an abrupt stop. I now have to wear my cooking apron as part of my wardrobe ensemble. Rats! As a special treat, Cory took us through the drive-thru at Burger King so I could get my big drink and a few chicken nuggets. I forget what you ordered....a whopper maybe. Yippee. Doesn’t say it has to be only cars going through. Pull up, Mr. Golf Cart. That worked so well, he drove the golf cart through the drive-thru at Checkers so he could get an ice cream cone. Perfecto! Lulu was thrilled. She hasn’t seen anyone except for the two of us for so long that seeing the window server was a bright spot in her day. Hello Window Server! I love you! Thanks for being there!

On this initial expedition, we headed back through more sights of Old Town, past the big, yellow, vacation condominium, past the white fence that lines that part of our park and then, in through the security gate. Hi Security Guard! Cory turns the golf cart onto Islamorada Drive where we live in our RV on site 317. Wasting no time, Lulu bounced off the cart and onto our lounge chair. Time to sun herself and suck up more of the fresh air. Her skin is tough....no dermatology visits for her. I envy her. Luckily, she has no allergies so the pollen doesn’t bother her.....Cory envies her! Ah-chooo.

As mentioned earlier, we opted to make this informative journey a second time.....with Sam & Sandy onboard instead of Lulu. She knows she has to take turns. She’s good about that. So, hop onboard again and enjoy the ride back through Old Town. You can never see everything the first time around.

This time, Sam & Sandy said they would treat us to ice cream at Checkers.....Zooooom. We feel good we are able to support this small business with their drive-thru, take out order service. We feel real good we can have the special ice cream treats, too. Almost like going out to dinner again.....almost but not quite. But still grateful we can do this much. What flavor was your favorite?

I spy with my little eye a few new additions here at Old Town on this second trip around. Of course, they aren’t open now but, in time, oh....I hope so soon....they look like some fun times ahead. At the far end of the parade route, a new bar/grill has been built. It is round and designed like a big garage. Picture all those doors open and the customers brimming out celebrating whatever needs to be celebrated. YES! YES!

Just across from the round garage bar is a small “strip mall”. The Hot Dog Place (they serve other food, too) is on the end. They are building a Shoney’s at the other end but they have been building that forever! Yawn....there were some workers inside though as we passed by. There’s hope for it. All of the newly constructed shops are vacant....hoping for a business to fill them. But wait! What on earth? Look at this, guys! There is a business in one of the shops.....yes.....but of course, it’s not open because of the restrictions with the virus. The name on the window is Garra - Fish Spa Experience. Whaaaat? Hmmmmm. Take a peek inside. Do you see what I see?.....wow - that sounds like a song....is it Judy? OMG. Unbelievable. On another occasion, we saw these “fish spas” on an island from one of our cruises. You sit in a chair and put your bare feet in a tank while millions of miniature fish chew the dead skin....or whatever....off your feet. Yep! That’s what is going to happen inside Garra’s. No need to take a cruise just to have this ticklish treatment. You need only to wander up to Old Town on your scaley feet. Can you see the rows of chairs...all with glass, see-thru tanks at the foot? Can you see the teeny fish in them? My photos might not show you the fish very well but they are there.....swimming around like a school of little baby sharks searching for prey. Take off your socks and shoes fast.....these fish are waiting to cleanse your feet and fill their bellies at the same time. How are we ever going to be able to wait for this life enriching experience? It will be months and months before our piggies are nibbled on. Rats!! But one plus.....now we have something to look forward to...right? No more going to the Nail Salon to have your feet done. March yourself right up here to Old Town and dip them in these miniature piranha fish infested tanks. Eat up, Nemo! I have two concerns right now. One: since the shop is closed and not fully prepared anyway for its Grand Opening, who is feeding these fish? Who? It’s going to be awhile before any of us can partake in this foot care procedure so that means.....no food for these fish. Who is feeding them? Again, I ask Who? I don’t want to picture tanks of floating dead fish in these glass foot baths. I have considered calling the SPCA. Cory has assured me that the owners of this fishy business would not want their inventory to die & rot away.....they must be feeding their little money makers. I surely hope so! Pray for the fish. Two: how are these tanks cleaned after each customer? How? These gluttonous aquatic vertebrae can never consume every dead cell and discharge that may ooze from open foot sores and make the putrid water sterile.....picturing it? Never! Are they temporarily captured in a net after each foot licking undertaking so the water can be sterilized? How is this health requirement met? How? Inquiring minds must know!

Sandy consented to pose for some of my blog pictures. She’s too good. Lulu is just like her. Like two peas in a pod.....but one with a body and one without. While Sandy stands tall; Lulu holds up her head.

As we headed back to the ranch, we saw the new, noisy, wooden roller coaster of Fun Spot looming over us in silence. No one hung vicariously from the colossal bungee slingshot. The seat in the Vomitron was empty. Everything is just standing still. Still and silenced. Chernobyl-like. Spooky and sad.

As long as we remain healthy, we can get through this. We shall do it together. Our adventures may have been curtailed but there will be other opportunities that bring us together....with social distancing, of course. When restrictions are lifted, we shall get some more chairs together so there is a seat for everyone to stop a spell and enjoy one another’s company once again. Drop by when that time happens. We’ll save a seat for you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



12th April 2020
Driving down thru Old Town

Good One!!!
Sandy, lol with this Blog and sure was entertaining...Thank you so much for the way you express everything. Be safe and Healthy oxox
13th April 2020
Driving down thru Old Town

Happy Easter to you & Joe
Thank you for your kind words, Linda
13th April 2020
Heading into Tropical Palms

Old Town looks like a fun place to visit.... are you leaving the first of May to come home?
14th April 2020
Heading into Tropical Palms

Hi Mary Lou
No...we have extended our stay here through May. Hopefully, will leave around mid to the end of May. Hoping Trout Run will reopen by then or we will stay in our RV next to our polebarn in Shongo.
15th April 2020

Apres Easter!
Almost like a ghost town! Pretty quiet up here too! We are still well..going g a bit stir crazy- but what's new about that? Take care Jo
15th April 2020

Good to hear from you, Jo
Stay well!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb