Last stop, from Key Largo to Key West!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
January 23rd 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Here we are....the last entry of our little North America excursion...don't worry too much....school is only due to start end of February for Leslie and Tiffany.



Another iconic place for our last entry, and actually...more than a place, another iconic drive, this time to the Southern Point of the United States.



I had the chance to drive to Key West some years ago with the godfather of Leslie...and that drive was something...I had to do it with Leslie and Tiffany. As we have been driving few miles since the begining of December 2012...few more miles were not really an issue...and the Mustang is the only choice to drive the Keys (with few bags in the trunk!).



We could have stay in Key West, but this is high season....and I had no plan to party hard once Leslie and Tiffany, so there was not really a need to stay in Key West...and pay a serious premium on average hotels. Instead, we slept two nights in Key Largo, some 100 miles north-east of Key West. Let be honest, there is not much to write about Key Largo. It's one of the first Keys...a slightly bigger one, right on Highway 1.



First thing, they have dive shops all around....this is the continental place for "tropical diving"...in the US. Well, I had read about it, it may be pretty nice for the area....but Tiffany is still only sitting on her bubble maker...so not really fun to even try to...give it a go....not diving today!



The first afternoon....was simply a swimming pool afternoon...trust me, for a 10 and 12 years old...that more than fine!



The next day, we wake up before the sunrise for the 100 miles drive to Key West. Should only be a 2 hours drive...but we took our time, with a lot of stops...so yes, it was way more than 2 hours...and pretty warm weather once we reached Key West.



They say it's pretty hard to park in Key West...well, if you arrive early and park next to a beach, it's not really an issue. What we didn't do...is visiting the House of Hemingway....nearly 30usd for three of, and the kids have yet to learn about him at school, I was just going to give it a pass.



What we did is walking all around the Old Town, and way better, have some crack conch for lunch...and yes, the kids loved it! We spent our afternoon on the beach...even with some pretty chilled water, it's all about the sand! And it was already time to get on our way back to Key Largo, we just reached for dinner.



Next day, I put Leslie and Tiffany on a plane for 12 days of fun with their Grandma in Argentina...more beach and more sun for them....and for me, two planes to the West...for some spectacular underwater moments. Trust me, the kids had a great time back in Argentina...not being on the road for them is something they cherish from time to time too...and for me...diving time!



That's it for our nearly month long time in the US...and few more iconic places added to the "done" in my little wishlist!



Coming next...mantas and dolphins...


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb