To Key West and Back


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
March 21st 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kwy West HomeKwy West HomeKwy West Home

One of many of this design. Built with timbers salvaged frm wrecked ships.
March 20 Day 13, Marathon to Key West to Marathon by bus.50 miles each way.

All can rest now that Rick and Wayne are back from Key West. We behaved ourselves and acted like senior tourists. We took the conch train around Key West to see the many sights and learned the history of the Island. We went to the ship wreck museum and found out that from1850 to 1900, salvaging ships wrecked on the Florida Reef was a major source of income for the Island. For a-wile Key West was the richest city in Florida. Then the Government installed aids to navigation and put Key West into a depression. That's just like the Government! We also visited Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum. Mel Fisher is the diver who found the sunken Spanish Armada off Florida’s coast. They have recovered over $400 million of gold and silver so far. It's a very interesting story and was made into a movie.

We had dinner and a few beers at Sloppy Joe’s and listened to a very entertaining band. It’s Spring Break and all the crazy kids were waking up about the time we needed to catch the bus back to Marathon at 8:30PM. We thought about sticking around and catching the 11:00 PM bus so we could check out the wet tee-shirt or shirtless contests, but decided we had seen enough.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Wayne Admiring Art Wayne Admiring Art
Wayne Admiring Art

Can I give you a hand?
Rick Admiring ArtRick Admiring Art
Rick Admiring Art

Can you see Rick in the artist's painting?
Gold SpoonGold Spoon
Gold Spoon

At Mel' Fisher's Museum.
InterestingInteresting
Interesting

Saw this at the bus stop. Too bad we need to catch the bus!


21st March 2010

time to come home
I think you have been away from your seethearts too long now.... Karl

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb