Biking in the Florida Keys


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Islamorada
January 22nd 2014
Published: January 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Biking in the Florida Keys


Biking in the Florida Keys






The Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail

My experience with biking in the Florida Keys has been with sections of the trail outside of Key West, east and west of Marathon, Islamorada and Key Largo in the month of January when it was “comfortable”



Highway 1 is 106 miles (170 km) and the trail is available for most of that distance in some cases on both sides of the highway. In 2014 approximately 80 miles (130 km) of trail was completed and construction was ongoing, especially in Key Largo.





The trail varies from sidewalk width, to 10 foot wide asphalt/concrete to some sections of packed gravel A number of sections use the old causeway (built in the early 1900’s) and therefore are as wide as a roadway. Some sections are totally isolated from traffic.





Some sections are wide open with no shade.





Some sections have a hedge/trees barrier separating it from the ocean or from the highway. It varies a lot.





If you are planning on crossing the 7 mile bridge, be aware that there is a narrow 5 foot shoulder and traffic tends to be steady. There are no rest stops or places to pull off!



There are the occasional signs identifying this as the FLORIDA KEYS OVERSEAS HERITAGE TRAIL. From time to time you will come across wetlands or historic bridges with sign posts and descriptions.





Benches and covered areas appear here and there.





Washrooms and water can be obtained at the many parks, chamber of commerce buildings or retail establishments.





In many cases the original causeway has been replaced with a new one and the old causeway has been left standing and converted to a walking/biking path and as a fishing pier.





Parking is sort of plentiful since you can pull off the highway and connect to the trail. All the trails run through the towns and can be dangerous due to numerous road crossings that often are not marked for traffic or cyclists. BE VERY CAREFUL.







More Photos below







Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

near marathonnear marathon
near marathon

On former causeway beside 7 mile bridge
parade of veterans parade of veterans
parade of veterans

approaching 7 mile bridge
former causewayformer causeway
former causeway

bike/walking lane and fishing lanes!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb