High Springs, Atlanta, & Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Gainesville
March 3rd 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Shelby and I have grown a little road weary… We spent our last week out (our 5th) in search of some more fresh water springs, those jewels that gush from the earth at 72 degrees. I can’t get enough of snorkeling; seeing that blue water, those green plants, and the colorful fish that live under the surface, is so exciting.

Since this has been a personal writing retreat for me, I have been writing down conversations that take place with my traveling companion, Shelby the turtle. Our next discussion is about swimming. Some of our other topics have been: expectations, gratitude, wild dancing, wood, slow food, being brave, community, and solutions. Good stuff!

Our low spirits have been due to the Florida sunshine – missing in action; it keeps hiding the farther north we drive. And, guess who’s NOT a happy camper in the rain? Anyway, we saw some beautiful landscapes, hiked, and swam too (well, I swam, I still don’t know if Shelby can swim, he’s a box turtle).

In High Springs, just northwest of Gainsville, we stayed at 2 private campgrounds with natural springs, Blue Springs and Ginnie Springs. At Blue Springs, the long boardwalk (1/4 mi.) to the Sante Fe River was awesome. It was mid-week and hardly anyone was camping except us; just the way I like it – surrounded by palmettos, live oaks and wildlife.

It took two long days of driving and an overnight visit with Lizza and Ian in Atlanta (engaged & moving to Seattle!), to get home. Steve had taken great care of the house, the garden, and the houseplants. I’m a lucky girl to have such support.

Yippee, the dark and dreaded month of February is over, and I’m ready for Spring! Until next time, happy trails to you.

Katie Bee






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb