Fort Lauderdale, a place for good food and cheap t-shirts


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We checked out of our hotel this morning and decided to head a bit further south along the Keys, stopping first to take a few pictures of the gorgeous water and then at Robbie’s Marina. You can pay to feed the Tarpon fish there…however, the smell alone was enough to deter me from wanting to go through with it (that and the large crowd of people already out on the dock). We decided instead to eat breakfast at The Hungry Tarpon, located in the front of the marina. It’s a local diner, the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else and the conversations are fun to eavesdrop on (the guy behind us was telling everyone how he’d consumed far too much whisky the night before). I had “The Gooey”, a French toast peanut butter and jelly concoction that was almost more of a dessert than breakfast, making it that much better.

After breakfast we set out north again, and to our dismay found that traffic had once again reached a stop ahead of us. Apparently there was a boating festival going on just south of Key Largo today. Once we passed that it was smooth sailing the rest of
Florida KeysFlorida KeysFlorida Keys

I could stare out at the gorgeous water all day!
the way along the Turnpike to Fort Lauderdale, where we arrived by about 3pm. We headed down to the beach and drove down A1A to see what kind of hotels were in the area. We had no intention of actually staying at the beach, but when we came across a rather run down looking motel (the Ocean Holiday Motel) and found out it was only $65 a night, we decided to stay after all. The location was perfect, right between Sunrise Blvd. and Las Olas Blvd. which is where the majority of restaurants and shops are along the beach.

Before heading to the beach, we drove back down Sunrise Blvd. to the Swap Shop, a giant indoor and outdoor flea market held every day inside a Drive-in movie theatre. I think I was expecting there to be more second-hand/antique type things there, and instead it was mostly a bunch of cheap sunglasses, tennis shoes, perfumes and random knockoffs, so all in all I was a bit disappointed. But at least I can say that I saw it, because it was one of the random things on my “list”.

We headed back to the motel, dropped off the car and headed out on foot to enjoy the Fort Lauderdale scenery. The stretch of beach between Sunrise and Las Olas is very nice, full of touristy shops, packed bars and various restaurants. We walked all the way down to check out our options and came back to Sangria’s, a Spanish restaurant with outdoor seating. I had vegetarian enchiladas and we split a huge basket of chips and salsa while watching the crowds pass. It was really good, but pricier than anywhere else we’ve eaten. I think we’ll be looking for cheap eats for the next few days to make up for it.

After dinner we walked back along the stretch of beach, stopping at a few shops on the way and only buying a magnet to add to our collection.

Tomorrow we’re planning on amending our itinerary a bit and heading as far north as possible to cut our remaining drive time a bit. We might end up back in Orlando but we’ll see how it goes.

We haven’t seen any more alligators since Wednesday, although we did see a giant iguana near Homestead and a rat in the parking lot at the Swap Shop. I
The Hungry TarponThe Hungry TarponThe Hungry Tarpon

Inside the diner
wonder what we’ll see tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

The "Gooey"...yum!
Robbie's MarinaRobbie's Marina
Robbie's Marina

The dock out back where the tarpons are fed
Fort LauderdaleFort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale

The view from our motel room
The Swap ShopThe Swap Shop
The Swap Shop

Looking down on the first floor indoors
The Swap ShopThe Swap Shop
The Swap Shop

Chris and the Blues Brothers
The Swap ShopThe Swap Shop
The Swap Shop

Above the restroom is the projection booth for the drive-in theater!
The Swap ShopThe Swap Shop
The Swap Shop

Amusement park rides in the front
The Elbo RoomThe Elbo Room
The Elbo Room

The original Spring Break bar in Fort Lauderdale, seen in the 1960's movie "Where the Boy's Are"
Sangria's Sangria's
Sangria's

Front of the restaurant
Dinner!Dinner!
Dinner!

Huge basket of chips and salsa
Dinner!Dinner!
Dinner!

Spanish vegetarian enchiladas
Ocean Holiday MotelOcean Holiday Motel
Ocean Holiday Motel

This building looks huge, but the elevator only has 5 floors...hmmm...
Fort LauderdaleFort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale

View from our motel


5th May 2008

Dessert for breakfast, a sure sign it's a holiday! Being a grown-up is great because people can't tell you not to do things like that. Th Swap-Shop looks like it could have been an ace place to snoop around, it is a shame it was mainly knock-off goods. But you're blogs continue to make me hungry with all the tasty food you eat on your travels :D
5th May 2008

Hahaha...we're going back to Dunkin Donuts today! It's the cheapest and better than McD's at least. I'll have to look up who Mickey Spillanish is now!
5th May 2008

Hee hee...yes, dessert for breakfast is the best! Yeah, I had high hopes for finding some sort of treasure at the Swap Shop...maybe we just got there too late. Ah well, at least I saved some money!
8th January 2009

glad you made your stop
Hi! Fort Lauderdale is very persistent in maintaining its tourism industry strong. I see that you have a very strong followers here and I am glad you stopped by to write about Fort Lauderdale. Hotels in Fort Lauderdale are aiming for cheaper rates that provides great and comfortable stay while vacationing. I hope you will come visit us again soon.

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb