Fun in the Sun


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Life is like a box of chocolatesLife is like a box of chocolatesLife is like a box of chocolates

Oglethorpe square, Savannah, Georgia. This is where Forest Gump was filmed. Hence the Gumpish pose.
Hey everyone.

It has been another eventful couple of weeks. It has really flown by. Thanks to everyone who has emailed us. We really appreciate it and apologize that we don't always get the time to reply to you all individually.
We spent another couple of days around Williamsburg and Jamestown, Virginia and cycled to the site of the first (successful) British colony in the US. There is a great visitors centre with replicas of the original ships the settlers travelled over on.

From there we travelled on to Savannah, Georgia. It was set up as a town, paid for by the British Government, for those who wanted to escape poverty, injustice, class divides etc. The whole idea didn't really last very long, but the thought was there. It is a totally planned town. If you can find a map of it have a look - its really quite interesting. Originally, there were individual groups of houses set up on a grid pattern, each with their own area for amenities and their own little square. There are 22 squares in all. That doesn't explain it very well at all but trust me, it's nice.

We heard Florida calling
South Beach, MiamiSouth Beach, MiamiSouth Beach, Miami

Place of sun, sand and surf. Barbara would like me to mention that it was 30oC...
and so it was on to Miami Beach which is very upscale and very touristy but very worth a visit. Took a boat trip around Miami Bay and seen loads of film sites and loads of famous peoples houses like Will Smith, Madonna, Ricky Martin etc.

After a few days on the beach we travelled further south to Florida City and the Everglades. Went to the Homestead Rodeo. Saw some very impressive (and altogether stupid) bronco and bull riding. Why would anyone get on the back of a 2-ton animal with horns who obviously wants to kill you??? But hey, its fun to watch.

Yesterday we went for a guided tour of the Everglades. First took a walk along a couple of trails where the animals are used to humans but still wild so we seen loads of gators, turtles and birds really close up. Then out to the wild everglades where few dare to venture at least without a good guide. We took a wet walk through a cypress swamp in the middle of nowhere. Seen a snake and then around the corner came within only a few metres of a big momma gator. Hee hee. Then
Homestead RodeoHomestead RodeoHomestead Rodeo

EEJIT, (ee-ji:t) Idiot, [Informal] From the latin for man attempting to sit on 2 ton near vertical very angry bull. [adj.]
took a canoe through the mangroves and seen loads more gators and one really big 12ft Croc. It was a great day.

Off to see mickey Mouse next. Has to be done really. Take care.

Sam and Babs


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

GATOR!!!!!!!GATOR!!!!!!!
GATOR!!!!!!!

Our very first wild alligator. Barbara named him Arnold....
Wet walkWet walk
Wet walk

Trudging through various depths of water containing things you don't want to step on.
Wet walk returnsWet walk returns
Wet walk returns

Thankfully this bloke was sitting in a tree so we couldn't step on him. He ain't poisonous anyway. Not like the others...
Wet walk foreverWet walk forever
Wet walk forever

This Momma Gator ain't poisonous either but when she is 10ft long and only a few metres away, well thats not really the point.
Wet walk and Robin, ...sorry Canoe ride.Wet walk and Robin, ...sorry Canoe ride.
Wet walk and Robin, ...sorry Canoe ride.

Alligators and crocs galore. We even had them swimming under the canoe. They are pretty armless really. (cause they have four legs...)
Its a hard life.Its a hard life.
Its a hard life.

In our back garden in Florida. Nice place.


1st February 2006

Brilliant !
Great photos. Don't like the crocs much - or the snake. Hot weather would be nice though! Keep the pictures coming. Look after each other.
1st February 2006

Step away from Minnie Mouse sir...
Miami, how fabulous. Didn't spot Horatio did you? But Disney, surely not. I didn't think Samuel Walker did Disney, Babs...sure, but Sam, I think all that sun is going for you old chap. Babs honey, enjoy all those big stuffed animal characters, and Sam... well, just behave.
9th February 2006

I'm sitting here about to start another day of work in front of a computer screen and in my attempt to delay the inevitable I thought of u pair... wish i hadn't.... so jealous looking at all those amazing photos. You must be having a wonderful time. Take care... oh, and remember to keep ur eye out for a hunk to bring home! :-)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb