Howdy y'all !


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
February 16th 2006
Published: February 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Universal studios, OrlandoUniversal studios, OrlandoUniversal studios, Orlando

She's got the whole world....... slightly behind her over her left shoulder...
Well,

It's been a strange couple of weeks. We have finally made it to Dallas, Texas which is the end of our journey down the East Coast and through the Southern US after leaving Canada 41 days ago and travelling over 4,000 miles on Greyhound buses.

We got to Kissimmee, near Orlando late one night only to find that Barbaras rucksack had not made it the whole way from Folrida City with us. The station was closed so we had to go on to where we were staying and call the next day to get it. It finally turned up two days later and so we had to put off going to any of the parks until we got it all sorted out. With that behind us we headed to Universal studios for the day. Its great. Loads to do and see. Next day it was off to Disney Magic Kingdom. An unbelievable place. That night I took sick and had to extend our stay (again). So it was nearly a week in Orlando rather than just three days.

Then it was overnight to Atlanta, Georgia and back to the colder weather. Atlanta is a strange city. It
Universal studios, OrlandoUniversal studios, OrlandoUniversal studios, Orlando

Catch of the day. (the one on the right)
is just a huge complex of hotels mixed in with a few office buidings and convention centres. Even in the middle of the day the city centre seems deserted. We visited the Martin Luther King centre, birthplace and Grave. Coretta Scott King had just been buried the day before, in the same place, and so it was a strange time to visit.

Then on to Nashville and back to the really cold weather, even some snow. Nashville is amazing. Every cafe, restaurant, bar and even candy shop has live music. We went to the Grand Ole Opry for a love songs show on the Saturday night.

Nashville may be the home of country music, but Memphis is the home of the Blues. Again live music is everywhere and there are loads of great shops. Memphis was also the home of Elvis so a visit to Graceland was called for and was well worth it. The next day I left Barbara to go and see a film while I took a tour of the Gibson guitar factory. For those of you who are intersted this is where they make all the ES-335's, 345's and Lucille guitars along with a
Disney Magic Kingdom, OrlandoDisney Magic Kingdom, OrlandoDisney Magic Kingdom, Orlando

We bought this small villa in Forida. Just something for a week or two in the summer. No pool though...
few others. Very interesting but unfortunately no free samples...

Back up to Canada (Vancouver) in a few days after seeing some of the sights of Texas. Around 27oC today, Texas is in the middle of a bad drought but there is a possibility of an ice storm this weekend. (?) This whole weather thing is really starting to get a bit confusing....


All the best,



Sam (and Barbara)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

MLK grave, AtlantaMLK grave, Atlanta
MLK grave, Atlanta

Coretta's grave is in the foreground.
Nashville, TennesseeNashville, Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee

Here they have both types of music - Country and Western.
Graceland, Memphis, TennesseeGraceland, Memphis, Tennessee
Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee

The living room of the King. Thank you, Thank you very much.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb