Packing and Moving


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

For those of you that do not know, Kelsey and I are moving to Moldova.

Moldova is a small country in eastern Europe. This is also the reason we have started this blog. So to leave the country for at least a year we could not just let our house sit vacant and with the housing market we cannot sell without incurring a significant loss. That being said, we rolled the dice and got a tenant for the next year to take over our home. It is difficult to let someone else move in, as this is where Kelsey and I got engaged, and was our first home. After our trip to the Keys we had to come home and start packing straight away.

Kelsey has been packing for the past month and I have been procrastinating. We are not just putting our stuff into storage but moving it to Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, where it will be in Kelsey's grandmother's basement. Thank you Grama Ann!! 😊 We went with a different method of moving, we are using ABF transport. It is a pretty cool idea, a semi-trailer is dropped at the house and the user is given three days to pack, then it is picked up and sent to its final destination, and one only pays for the number of feet used on the trailer, then partitioned off and loaded with other freight and sent to where ever it is going.

The morning of our departure was a lot of fun (insert sarcastic tones here). The woman who moved into our house had to have it inspected, no big deal right? Well the inspector came an hour and forty-five minutes late, Kelsey had a doctors appointment, and we are sharing a car. Fortunately John K. was around to help with last minute things and he is even nice enough to store a lot of stuff for us for the next year. Ella, John and I went to hang out at his place in Sopchoppy where Kelsey was to meet us after her appointment. We had a really nice lunch at Sally's Place, where I had my last bite of Florida seafood for who knows how long. We said our goodbyes ran a couple errands in Tallahassee. Comcast, Dante wrote about dealing with you. With everything done we headed to Atlanta where, Kelsey and I were meeting up with our friends John and Elizabeth M.

Stripling's- " You never sausage a place." www.striplings.com, if you happen to be a fan of bacon, pickled vegetables, "home-canned" goods, or southern style snack foods then you better stop here. It is a nice halfway point between Tallahassee and the ATL. With Ella walked, a half link of medium smoked sausage, a bag of Pop Crickle (aka addictive crack), and a water we headed north. Unfortunately there was not room for any bacon.

Traffic in Atlanta can be trying, I would recommend driving on the interstate between the hours of 3:00 to 3:45am on the third Sunday of the month unless it is a leap year to any avoid traffic.

We got to John and Elizabeth's around 7:30pm, and got ready for a night on the town. We ate at a very good restaurant in the Old 4th Ward, the owner called it NoNo because it was north of North street. He might have been a little drunk. www.repastrestaurant.com We enjoyed some unique and delicious dishes such as sea scallops with pork belly and Peking duck with dirty rice. They also make their own "root fries", amazing! Unfortunately, Repast shut their doors the next night. After that we headed to Smith's Olde Bar,www.smithsoldebar.com, to see one of John's friend play it was great place for a night cap and to hear some good tunes. Being that we had to be on the road for Oconomowoc the next morning, I thumbed the dive.

The drive north from Atlanta to Oconomowoc took 14 hours and half a bag of Pop Crickle. It was uneventful, aside from road work in Tennessee that could have been done at three in the morning rather than high noon.
Our truck arrives at Grandma Ann's on Wednesday morning, she has a huge empty basement where we will be keeping all of our stuff for the next year or two. Feel free to stop by and help unload! 😊

Cheers!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd June 2010

Love the blog!
I'm loving your new blog. I had no idea what you were doing or why you were going where are going. Now it's all coming together, and very interestingly! I can't wait to hear about your life in Moldova. It's so great you are doing what you want and going where your dreams take you. Good luck and take care. Joan
22nd June 2010

Good luck!!
Nick and kelsey- Good luck on this amazing adventure! I will definitely keep up on what's going on through your blog...an awesome idea! Safe travels.
22nd June 2010

We are very excited to go. I think this is the easiest way to keep everyone updated on our whereabouts. Talk to you later
22nd June 2010

Thanks, I hope we have some good things to write.

Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb