New York to Florida


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vietnam MemorialVietnam MemorialVietnam Memorial

Too Many Names

Travel by train!



We’re back - now have Internet access again! (Feels like I’m back in the real world). - 27/8/06

We took a taxi into New York and the Ocela Express from Penn Station to Washington DC. Clean and quick, 3 hours later we were in Washington DC.

Taxi to our hotel near to Dupont. Coincidentally our friend Dave lives about 5 blocks from here. We met Dave at 6 and had a quick beer at the manager’s reception and then went out for a meal. Dave then took us into Washington and the Mall at night. We visited the Vietnam veteran’s memorial, Lincoln memorial and Capitol hill. Dave then took us back to our hotel.

The next day we checked out of the hotel and left our bags as we were taking the overnight train to Orlando. We visited Arlington Cemetery and then tried to go up the Monument but you had to get your free tickets in advance. We walked from there via the White House and a quick pizza back to our hotel. Then took a taxi back to Union Station. At 19:30 we joined the train for our 17 hour journey down to Orlando.

Travelling by train in the States is an interesting experience. Most people took the train because they didn’t want to fly, either because they were frightened or couldn’t afford it (they got cheap rail tickets…). We enjoyed the trip, it was slow but had a snack carriage and a dining carriage where we had breakfast.

We arrived in Orlando only about 30 minutes late. A Taxi driver tried to pick us up, but as he couldn’t read where I wanted to go and assured me he knew where we were going I avoided him after our experience in New York. Another taxi driver seemed to know where to go, and did get us there. I must admit I did get a little annoyed half way through the journey and queried where we were going (confusion on my part over Orlando downtown and Disney downtown). Got the car a Buick Rendevous and drove over to the Swan, went swimming, then out to Jungle Jims and a bit of late night shopping at the Premium outlet mall.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

JFKJFK
JFK

Too short
White HouseWhite House
White House

Yes Sir!
Alternative ThirstyAlternative Thirsty
Alternative Thirsty

Dont drink it
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

On the train
Wheres the trainWheres the train
Wheres the train

Dont stand on the track!
Walt Disney World DolphinWalt Disney World Dolphin
Walt Disney World Dolphin

View from our room


10th September 2006

Hi
Steve, Hope you had a good holiday! Sorry that I wasn't there to see you. Aoife (David's daughter)
12th September 2006

We had a great holiday
We were sorry to miss you all as well. My children and Eleanor in particular would like to mee you. Steve

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb