Cinnamon in Washington, DC


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A three hour tour...a three hour tour...

Peter, Leslie & I took an evening tour of Washington, DC that lasted what felt like 6 hours. I was so relieved when we finally we headed back when the driver announced that we were crossing state lines and approaching Virginia! For what? To look at a hundred more monuments. That's what Washington is all about...monuuuuuments. Lots of them. One of the neat things that happened on the tour is that the Vice-President drove by in a 6 car convoy and I saw him wave. Basically, everyone stops driving, walking, or whatever they are doing and the Lincoln Town Cars whip by in a flash of a second. And these convoys are constantly happening, so you're always wondering who is in there. The locals are used to it. When we were at the Jefferson Memorial, the convoy went airborne...the sound of the choppers echoing against the building was very exciting. Airforce One.

Then there is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, which is a long black granite wall with every soldiers name on it. The wall has a mirror like quality and is surrounded by a beautiful park.

We toured the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, walked through Georgetown, stumbled upon Embassy Row, ate at Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse. I vote it as the best steakhouse in the US! Delicious! I have never witnessed an 18 oz T-Bone before and Peter ate the entire thing! We also checked out some local antique shops and Peter found a silver/pewter/metal/tin Indian snake belt. I have never quite seen anything like it. Not sure if he'll wear it with his Hugo Boss suit?!

The humidity was almost to much to bear, but most places have air conditioning.

There is really great shopping in Washington. Thomas Pink is one of my fav stores from the UK and what do you know---they had one in Washington!

I would definitely return to learn more about American History.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb